History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock Tower

A Grade II Listed Building in Airmyn, East Riding of Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7212 / 53°43'16"N

Longitude: -0.9028 / 0°54'10"W

OS Eastings: 472497

OS Northings: 425530

OS Grid: SE724255

Mapcode National: GBR QT4D.BT

Mapcode Global: WHFDC.3QCN

Entry Name: Clock Tower

Listing Date: 16 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347055

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164862

Location: Airmyn, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14

County: East Riding of Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Airmyn

Built-Up Area: Airmyn

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Airmyn St David

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Goole

Listing Text

AIRMYN HIGH STREET
SE 72 NW
(west side)
1/101 Clock Tower
GV II
Clock tower. 1866-8 by H J Lockwood of Bradford for George Percy, second
Earl of Beverley. Banded yellow and pink sandstone, painted timber shafts
to second stage, Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. Square on plan,
stands on riverbank at corner of main street. 3 stages. First stage:
chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets and gabled coping with
kneeling angels holding shields. Entrance to east side has 3 stone steps to
pointed moulded arch with shafted responds beneath elaborate crocketed
gabled hoodmould with finial; 2-fold board doors with ornate wrought-iron
strapwork. South side bears inscription:
GEORGE EARL OF BEVERLEY
1865
Second stage: angle-shafts with foliate capitals; pair of pointed lighting
slits to south and east sides, one to south blind, others glazed. Foliate
corbel-table. Top stage has pairs of angle shafts with moulded capitals
flanking large recessed pointed panels with moulded surrounds containing
central circular openings, those to south and east with clockfaces, that to
north with C20 window, that to west boarded-up; gables above have pierced
quatrefoils and crocketed coping. 4-sided spire has decorative slates,
wrought-iron finial and half-hipped lucarnes with shafted trefoiled openings
and slatted louvres. Interior: ladder of built-in iron rungs provides
access to top stage and spire; clock and chimes in working order. Built to
commemorate the Earl becoming the Duke of Northumberland in 1865; started
1866 and completed 2 years later. D Galloway, Airmyn In Days Gone By, Vol
1, 1984, pp 12-13; ibid, Vol 2, 1985, pp 15-18.


Listing NGR: SE7249725530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.