History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hexton Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Hexton, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9619 / 51°57'42"N

Longitude: -0.3886 / 0°23'18"W

OS Eastings: 510815

OS Northings: 230496

OS Grid: TL108304

Mapcode National: GBR H5J.YCC

Mapcode Global: VHFR2.6YYC

Entry Name: Hexton Manor

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347069

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163019

Location: Hexton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hexton

Built-Up Area: Hexton

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hexton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hexton

Listing Text

HEXTON HEXTON
TL 1030 (East side)

8/9 Hexton Manor
-
GV II

Country house. Early C18 incorporating part of early C17 farmhouse,
enlarged and altered late C18, stuccoed and enlarged c.1820 for
de Lautour family and Caroline Young de Lautour lived here up to her
death in 1869, renovated and c.1820 single-storey wings removed c.1900
for Mr. Torr, kitchens extended and SW tower added c.1902 for
G.H. Hodgson, tower reduced to general height later C20. Red brick
stuccoed. Stone dressings to tower. Hipped slate roofs concealed by
parapets. A large 3-storeys and cellars house set in an extensive wooded
park with lake, it forms a tall rectangular block with service rooms at
S, entrance by small pilastered porch near N end of irregular W front,
and former entrance front on N. The latter is 3-windows wide with
shallow projection to central bay, and wide triple sash windows to
ground floor. Thin stucco pediments replaced segmental heads to ground
floor openings c.1900. Sash windows generally, 3 to each floor, with 6/6
panes, to right of entrance on W front, with heavy rustication to water
tower at SW corner. The interior has a top-lit central rectangular
2-storeys hall with pendentives, oval lantern, and arcaded 1st floor,
elaborate early C18 mutuled cornice in NW room, and carved white marble
early C19 fireplaces. 6-panelled moulded doors. Good photographic record
of C19/C20 changes kept at house. (inf the owners).


Listing NGR: TL1081530496

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.