History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene (C of E)

A Grade I Listed Building in Offley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9281 / 51°55'41"N

Longitude: -0.3357 / 0°20'8"W

OS Eastings: 514533

OS Northings: 226816

OS Grid: TL145268

Mapcode National: GBR H65.5XZ

Mapcode Global: VHGNR.4SCS

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene (C of E)

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347084

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163109

Location: Offley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Offley

Built-Up Area: Great Offley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Offley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Offley

Listing Text

OFFLEY KINGS WALDEN ROAD
TL 1426 (East side)
Great Offley

13/99 Church of St Mary
27.5.68 Magdalene (C of E)

GV I

Parish church. Nave and aisles, and possibly S porch, early C13; C14
windows and doors, late C14 and C15 clearstorey and roofs, chancel
remodelled externally and internally in 1751-9 and in 1770s for
Salusbury family ('SS 1777' on rainwater heads for widow
Sarah Salusbury), W tower rebuilt in brick 1800 (date on rainwater heads
on E face). Restorations 1875, and 1904. The nave and aisles in flint
rubble with stone dressings, the N aisle roughly plastered. Large S
porch in coursed flints with stone dressings and exposed timbers in
gable triangle. Red brick W tower with stone dressings. The chancel a
cubical mass of Portland stone ashlar with droved plinth, crenellated
parapet and fat pyramidal crocketed corner pinacles. Same stone ashlar
facing to E end of N aisle. Roofs of nave, aisles, and tower with short
spike in copper, steep old red tile roof to porch. Flat roof to chancel
with lantern concealed by parapet. Buried boiler house on N side covered
by York stone slabs. 5 wooden vertical spreaders at clearstorey level
lead capped, associated with wrought iron tie-bars slung from nave
tie-beams. The nave has 4 bay arcades to aisles, octagonal piers with
moulded bases and stiff-leaf capitals and pointed arches in 2 chamfered
orders with labels terminating in carved stops. 3 2-lights square headed
C14 clearstorey windows on N side with ogee tracery to each light. 2 of
3 similar windows on S replaced by 3-lights Perp windows. Low pitched
C15 open timber roof with ridge, 2 purlins, wall-post and heavy knee
brace at E end on a broken corbel curved with a head. Floor of red tile
with black bands. C15 buttressed oak pews in W part of church. N aisle
has 3 square headed C15 2-light N windows, and late C14 N door. C18
lancet E window with painted glass similar to E window of chancel.
Inscription on E jamb of N window nearest E, recording consecration in
1417 of a side altar. 2 groups of early C16 brasses, one to John Saurmel
d.1529, on 2 slate slabs on wall with original slabs still in floor.
Painted Royal Arms on canvas over N door dated 1800. Fragments of C14
stained glass in heads of middle window. Wall monument on W wall to
William Chamber d.1728, by William Palmer. Grey marble with gadrooned
base, cherubs head to apron, fluted Corinthian pilasters rising higher
than round-arched tablet, with bellied cartouche and urn on segmental
entablature over. Timber roof copied from S aisle roof. S aisle has C15
4-bays arch-braced timber roof with moulded central purlin and carved
corbel heads. 3 2-light C15 S windows and E window. Stepped external
buttresses. C15 S door with pointed arch and square head externally with
quatrefoil spandrels and label. At E end of S wall a C15 piscina with
cinquefoil head and shallow pointed arched recess over with 2 C14 tiles
with reversed lettering and carved inscription over of 1777 that they
were discovered then 'which proves that King Offa was buried here'.
Elaborate standing monument at W end of aisle to Sir John Spencer d.1699
attributed to E Stanton or Nost. A reclining figure in Roman armour and
a veiled kneeling woman. Tall back in grey marble with carved pair of
putti on cloud with a crown and palms. Heraldic achievement and 2 urns
on top entablature. Painted text in painted frame over S door. To W of
door a richly carved octagonal C14 font with deep bowl carved in relief
on each face with ogee-headed arch with varied tracery some Dec., some
Perp. Square base with elaborate transition to short thick octagonal
shaft and 8 minor shafts with moulded bases and octagonal shafts
intersecting the moulded base to the bowl. Openwork wooden spire to flat
oak early C17 cover. Large rectangular S porch with pointed entrance
with roll mouldings in 3 orders. Brick floor and side benches.
Clasped-purlin roof of 2 bays. Very thick walls with lancet window on E
side with rear arch. Trefoil headed small hollow chamfered window on W
with C13 inner frame with one remaining jamb shaft with base and cap and
slightly pointed arch with roll moulding. Studded plank S door. W tower
of 3 stages with clasping corner buttresses up to string at sill level
of bell openings. Cornice below crenelated parapet. Vane to short spire.
Wide stone framed chamfered bell opening on each face with Y-tracery and
louvres. Similar stone window to middle stage on N, W, and S, with
quatrefoil cusping set diagonally. Lozenge shaped border to clockface
above quatrefoil window on W. Chamfered pointed stone surround to W door
and to window at higher level on S side. The chancel is rectangular
outside, but has an apsidal recess carried up in a half-dome at the E
end inside pierced by its only window. It is otherwise a lofty
rectangular space with plastered walls, black floor of tomb slabs, flat
coffered ceiling, and central lantern. The chancel is approached up
steps through the wide, tall, round-headed C18 chancel arch with niches
in the deep jambs and plaster panelling on the soffit of the arch. The
pavement bears the scars where the iron screen was removed, now a gate
to the walled garden at Offley Place nearby (q.v.). Niches with busts
at each end of the side walls but deep recess for organ at NW now
containing War Memorial tablets. Tall standing monument in middle of
each side flanked by lesser wall monuments. Arch of apse framed by a
pointed plaster arch in low relief with quatrefoil tracery in head. The
altar raised on steps in the apse has a canopy and side-drapes worked in
plaster in high relief and there is a sunburst with hebrew inscription
in the dome above. Altar steps and ironwork altar rail sweep out in oval
projection in front of apse, carved angel corbels carry curved braces to
3-bay ceiling, middle 2 on N re-used. Painted glass E window with Old
Testament figure of God in middle with 2 small framed painted scenes in
outer border with other heraldic fragments. Monument central on N side
to Sir Henry Penrice d.1752 and his son by Sir Robert Taylor (signed on
drapery) with allegorical figure, arm upraised, and foot on an anchor,
before a pink marble obelisk with portrait medallion. Central on S
monument to Sir Thomas Salusbury d.1773 by Nollekens (made 1777) with
draped standing figures of man and wife before a rough barked tree with
drapery looped over it on a grey background with a black sarcophagus.
Busts in niches also by Nollekens, Samuel Burroughs d.1761,
Mrs. Elizabeth Maude d.1796 (in chancel arch) and William Offley d.1789
on S wall. Other monuments Sir Thomas Salusbury d.1835 by T. Smith, and
2 memorials by Saunders, 1847 and 1855. 2 stone coffins in churchyard
against S aisle. (RCHM (1911)160-1: VCH (1912)42_3: Kelly (1914)192:
Pevsner (1977)264-5: Ron Pigram A short account of the church of
St Mary Magdalene, Offley 1980, available at church).


Listing NGR: TL1453326816

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.