History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Holwell, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9837 / 51°59'1"N

Longitude: -0.304 / 0°18'14"W

OS Eastings: 516568

OS Northings: 233047

OS Grid: TL165330

Mapcode National: GBR H5G.MYP

Mapcode Global: VHGNK.PD4N

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 24 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347087

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163032

Location: Holwell, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Holwell

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Holwell

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Henlow

Listing Text

HOLWELL PIRTON ROAD
TL 1633 (East side)

9/22 The Old Rectory
-
- II

Rectory house, now a private house. 1831 (dated shield plaque on W side)
for Rand's Charity Trust (shield plaque with 'R/F.1706' on chimney to
right of porch on N side, for Rand's [Charity] founded 1706). Lower
service extension on E in 1870s. Red brick now painted, stucco bays
lined as ashlar, elaborate stucco moulded Gothic ornament, crenelated
parapets, finials, chimney corbels, etc. Steep pitched roofs. A tall
2-storeys house entered from N and facing onto garden at W and S. An
early and unusually elaborate Gothic rectory house, with large casement
windows, shafted chimneys, projecting chimneys some on decorated
corbels, rectangular 2-storeys bay on S flanked by moulded finials,
2-storeys gabled N porch. Interior has Tudor arched openings to porch
and staircase, and main rooms grouped round a central lobby. Sold as a
private house 1959.


Listing NGR: TL1656833047

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.