This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7515 / 51°45'5"N
Longitude: -0.3416 / 0°20'29"W
OS Eastings: 514578
OS Northings: 207164
OS Grid: TL145071
Mapcode National: GBR H89.4H2
Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.179N
Entry Name: The Tudor Tavern
Listing Date: 8 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347120
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163306
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3
District: St. Albans
Town: St. Albans
Electoral Ward/Division: Verulam
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abbey Parish of St Albans
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
1. (North Side)
Nos 27 & 28
(The Tudor Tavern)
TL 1407 SE 9/73 8.5.50.
Early C15 timber framed range of buildings fronting on George Street with
slightly older range fronting on Verulam Road. The George Street front
has wavy roofline to very high pitched, tiled roof; and even wavier
massive, moulded beam supporting overhanging 1st floor which is close
studded below half rail and has more open studding above. Plaster
filling. 4 large, 2- and 3-light casement windows (one modern, the others
leaded C17) are interspersed with 5 much smaller, 2-light casement windows
above an upper rail; and, 3rd from left, an original C15 wood-framed
window with 2 cusped, pointed, leaded lights. Ground floor renewed with
continuous, small-paned glazing and imitation plaster-filled studding
below. The Verulam Road front has, on the left, the gable end of the
George Street range, plastered and blank except for one tiny attic window,
flush framed with glazing bars. The right hand section, which is a 1st
floor hall of circa 1400 has a 16-light and a 13-light, leaded casement
window on 1st floor. Ground floor has partly-glazed modern door between
reproduction shop windows with glazing bars. Inside, little early work
is visible on ground floor, but the very large, crown-post open roof
truss is preserved on 1st floor.
Nos 18to 28 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: TL1457807164
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings