History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bury Farm Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8139 / 51°48'50"N

Longitude: -0.297 / 0°17'49"W

OS Eastings: 517491

OS Northings: 214182

OS Grid: TL174141

Mapcode National: GBR H7L.9Q4

Mapcode Global: VHGPB.SNVT

Entry Name: Bury Farm Cottages

Listing Date: 11 December 1973

Last Amended: 24 October 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347257

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163920

Location: Wheathampstead, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL4

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Civil Parish: Wheathampstead

Built-Up Area: Wheathampstead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wheathampstead

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Harpenden

Listing Text

TL 1714
270/14/375
11.12.73

WHEATHAMPSTEAD

Bury Farm Cottages

II

Cottage range, formerly part of manorial farm complex. C16 or earlier, with C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Timber-framed structure, now roughcast, the upper floor jettied to both front and rear. Plain clay tile roof covering, with central brick ridge chimney stack, and rear wall stack at north end. 2 storeys, 6 bays with mostly 3-light C19 casements with moulded frames. At east end, ground floor 3-light timber mullioned window of C16 date. This has hollow-moulded 4-centre arch heads to lights, and leaded casements. Plainer 3-light wooden mullioned window to first floor. Rear elevation with exposed close studding to first floor above C20 extension and central offshoot beneath extended roof slope. INTERIOR: common rafter roof, with curved wind bracing to purlins. Much exposed framing and partitioning, including original framed door opening and (now) interior 3-light mullioned window with arched heads. HISTORY: This building appears to have formed part of a manorial complex in the ownership of Westminster Abbey. Previous functions included farmhouse and later, labourers cottages. Recent research has likened the linear form of the originally unheated range to that of a guildhall or church house, but serving a different function in such a rural location. ( Smith. J.T. `English Houses 1200-1800- The Hertfordshire Evidence', p148. R.C.H.M.E. 1994. )

Listing NGR: TL1749114182

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.