History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wallington, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9853 / 51°59'7"N

Longitude: -0.1195 / 0°7'10"W

OS Eastings: 529236

OS Northings: 233546

OS Grid: TL292335

Mapcode National: GBR K8C.DM7

Mapcode Global: VHGNN.WC6C

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162283

Location: Wallington, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wallington

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wallington

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Baldock

Listing Text

TL 23 SE WALLINGTON THE STREET
(North west side)

6/150 Church of
27.5.68 St. Mary

GV II*

Parish church. Nave possibly C14. N aisle and chapel, W tower and nave
windows all early to mid C15. S porch late C15. Chancel rebuilt 1864 by
Rev. G.R.Tuck. Restored 1913-20 by G.Lucas. Flint rubble, split flint
chancel, stone dressings. Lead roof to nave, slate roofed chancel and S
porch. 3 bay nave: 2 large 3 light windows under 4 centred arches
on S wall flanking porch; cinquefoiled head to left. 2 light low side
window with square head to right. S wall of chancel has single 3 light
window and pointed arch entrance to right both with foliate stops to
labels. 5 light traceried E window with mask stops. 2 stage angle
buttresses to chancel. Steeper pitch to lower chancel roof. Continuous
5 bay N aisle and chapel with large 4 centred arched headed 3 light
cinquefoiled windows. 4 centred arch entrance under a square head below a
smaller window in 2nd bay from right. End diagonal buttresses with
straight buttresses articulating bays. E chapel and W aisle windows have
3 lights with rectilinear tracery under a 4 centred arch. Corner
gargoyles at cornice level and in gable above E chapel window. Embattled
parapet survives only on west wall of N aisle. W tower of 3 stages with
diagonal 2 stage buttresses. W window in lower stage has 2 trefoiled
lights with quatrefoil above. Narrow window in 2nd stage on S side. Four
2 light bell chamber windows with damaged stone surrounds. Outer entrance
to S porch: shafted jambs with moulded capitals and bases to arched inner
order set in outer order with moulded square head, pierced spandrels. 3
light windows to E and W. Inner entrance: 2 centred arch with moulded
chamfered reveals with label. Original porch roof with cambered beams.
Remains of stoup in NE corner. Interior: 2 centred tower arch of 3
orders, capitals and bases to semi-octagonal responds. Door to bell
chamber stairs in SW corner of tower. C15 nave roof with hollow chamfered
tie beams. Rood stair in NE angle of nave with openings at ground and
loft levels. 2 centred chancel arch of 1864, heavily moulded with stiff
leaf capitals. Ceiled chancel roof braced on carved corbels. 4 centred
arch of mid C15 from chancel to N chapel. 2 wave moulded orders, inner
resting on shafts with moulded bases and bell capitals. A stone carved
angel corbel in NE corner of chapel. Remains of a C15 piscina on a
semi-octagonal moulded pedestal in NW corner of chapel. N arcade between
nave and aisle has pointed arches of 2 moulded orders similar to chapel
arch. Each pier has 4 attached semi-circular shafts, larger
longitudinally, with moulded capitals and bases. N aisle roof has
original moulded principals alternately braced onto wall corbels and
carrying 4 timber carved angels. Foliate bosses at intersection of purlin
and principals. Most of nave and aisle seating is C15 benches. C12
Purbeck marble octagonal font bowl with shallow pointed arches. C15
panelled screen between N chapel and N aisle. Open upper panels. All
panels traceried, crocketed 4 centred head over door. Altar tomb to John
Prysot below E window on N wall: panels of figures in crocketed ogee
canopies alternating with shields bearing arms of Piggot and Prysot
recessed in cinquefoil arches. Left return has 2 panels and one niche
figure, a shield and Pelican in her Piety. Slab has traces of
indentation. One bay to W a tomb with plain C20 base and slab with
indents for 2 figures, children, shields and Trinity. Slab tomb in N
chapel floor to Thomas Bowles,d.1740. Slab tomb in nave floor to
Richard Blow, d.1698.Window above John Prysot's tomb has glass of c.1450
with arms of Piggot and Prysot flanking Saints including St. Catherine.
E window glass by Messrs. Clayton and Bell, late C19. (VCH 1923.
Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TL2923633546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.