History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hinxworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0477 / 52°2'51"N

Longitude: -0.1971 / 0°11'49"W

OS Eastings: 523734

OS Northings: 240347

OS Grid: TL237403

Mapcode National: GBR J64.QYM

Mapcode Global: VHGN7.JSNL

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347342

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162216

Location: Hinxworth, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG7

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Hinxworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Hinxworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ashwell

Listing Text

TL 24 SW HINXWORTH ASHWELL ROAD
(South west side)
Hinxworth

1/104 Church of
27.5.68 St. Nicholas

GV II*

Parish Church. C14 tower and nave. C15 alterations. Circa 1830 rebuilt
chancel. Flint rubble with clunch dressings. Chancel is chequered red
brick with stone dressings. 2-stage W tower with angle buttresses and
battlements. Mostly clunch, it has a 2-light traceried W window and
similar belfry windows. C15 S porch with shallow-gabled parapet and
4-centre-arched door in moulded square frame. W side of porch has a
hooded 3-light window; corresponding E window blocked. The nave is
battlemented and has on N and S sides a 3-light traceried window with 6
trefoiled lancets in tympanum. Other windows are 1 and 2 lights, except
for 3-light net-traceried E window. N nave door with simple C14 pointed
arch. Interior: Aisle-less nave with late C19 panelled roof retaining 4
C15 carved wooden corbel figures. In splay of N nave window and in SE
corner of nave are 2 canopied niches. Spiral rood staircase next to N
window. Big W arch with semi-octagonal shafts. Mis-shapen C14 chancel
arch. The chancel has panelled ceiling with simple bosses. Circa 1830
reeded dado and altar back. Good early-mid C19 stained glass. Brasses
in chancel: on N wall, mid C15; on floor; man, woman and 6 children,
believed to be John Lambard, Alderman of London (d.1487). Mid C18 pulpit
with fielded panels. C16-17 Rector's chair. Small mid C19 octagonal
font. (Pevsner (1977)).


Listing NGR: TL2373440347

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.