History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maydencroft Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in St. Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9328 / 51°55'57"N

Longitude: -0.2824 / 0°16'56"W

OS Eastings: 518189

OS Northings: 227421

OS Grid: TL181274

Mapcode National: GBR H62.TNQ

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.2P26

Entry Name: Maydencroft Manor

Listing Date: 9 June 1952

Last Amended: 28 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347391

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162668

Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Ippolyts

Built-Up Area: Hitchin

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ST IPPOLLITTS MAYDENCROFT LANE
TL 1827 (North side)
Gosmore

8/56 Maydencroft Manor
9.6.52 (formerly listed as
Maydencroft Farmhouse)

GV II*

House. Late medieval former open hall house in E part of N wing, C16 E
wing possibly built as a separate house, united and hall floored over
early C17 ('EC/1615' on oak pillar supporting inserted floor), later in
C17 originally unheated block to W of hall, subsequently kitchen added
to N wing, gabled stair turret on E side of E wing, and L-shaped lean-to
service room in NE angle of kitchen and hall. Interior features of early
C18 and some brick casing. Renovated 1980-81. Timber frame on red brick
sill, frame exposed with plaster infill panels in E wing and W gable of
N wing, roughcast 1st floor of N wing, red brick casing to ground floor
of N wing and lower buildings to N of N wing. Steep old red tile roofs.
A large 2-storeys house on a moated site with 2 long wings joined at
right-angles and 1 1/2-storeys service wing extending to N of N wing. N
wing faces S, and E wing faces W with entrance near junction with N wing
and jettied S gable end. Irregular fenestration with 3-lights C16 leaded
casement windows (one of 4 lights to hall and C19 casements each of
6-lights to jettied S end of E wing. N wing has 3 windows to each floor
on S front. E wing has 4 windows to 1st floor and 3 to ground floor,
that to left of door an early C17 4-lights ovolo moulded mullioned
window moved here from kitchen wing on N. Battened oak door in old
hollow chamfered doorway with 4-centred head. Similar blocked door at S
end of this W front noted in works in 1965. Front shows 4 structural
bays. Entrance into N bay with stair projection to rear. Late C17
cut-string stair with barley-sugar twist balusters, panelled newells all
lit by large 9-lights mullioned and transomed window. Large 3-bays room
to S has chamfered cross-beams supported by brackets on the bay-posts,
early C18 panelling with dado and cornice, large open fireplace in
middle of rear (E) wall but indications that the S end bay may
originally have been partitioned off. Large projecting rear wall chimney
of flint and clunch with 2 diagonal brick shafts. Bolection moulded
marble fire surround added in C20. Similar large rear wall chimney on N
side of hall in E part of N wing has 3 diagonal shafts and 4-centred
fireplace now blocked on 1st floor. The medieval hall was of one bay
with a narrow screens passage bay to W the whole forming a square plan
with smoke blackened clasped-purlin roof. E wall of hall removed and
room extended to E with stone floor and Doric column dated 1615 on line
of former hall wall. Convex curved tension braces, heavy jowled posts,
and long curved braces to tie-beam in hall bay. Later W block has
edge-halved scarf joint with bridled butts in rear wallplate. Added
rearwall chimney to heat W room. Kitchen to N originally open to roof
has large internal chimney with oven to rear (N) and lobby entrance from
W. 2 gabled dormers at eaves and 4-lights casement window to ground
floor. (RCHM (1911)130 no. 2: VCH (1912)25: Pevsner (1977)148: RCHM
Typescript: inf Mrs. Rance, and the owners).


Listing NGR: TL1818927421

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.