History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tatmore Place

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Ippolyts, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9209 / 51°55'15"N

Longitude: -0.2814 / 0°16'52"W

OS Eastings: 518289

OS Northings: 226103

OS Grid: TL182261

Mapcode National: GBR H68.FPN

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.2ZMB

Entry Name: Tatmore Place

Listing Date: 28 May 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347410

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162677

Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: St Ippolyts

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

ST IPPOLLITTS PRESTON ROAD
TL 12 NE (West side)

3/65 Tatmore Place
-
GV II

Country house, now a laboratory and offices. 1908 by John Belcher
(1841-1913) for Sir Joseph Child Priestley (1862-1941), non-domestic
uses since 1939. Red brick with blue headers in English-bond, stone
dressings and windows, steep slate roofs in graduated courses. A
compact, large 2-storeys and attics, L-shaped house in Early English
Renaissance revival style set in its own grounds facing E and N. Tall
stone mullioned and transomed windows. Brick chimneys with 2 pilaster
strips to each face. Single-storey hipped rear service wing. Moulded
stone doorways with 4-centred arched heads. E entrance front symmetrical
with projecting 2-storeys and attics central porch flanked by 2-storeys
semi-octagonal bay windows. Round arched entrance with splayed reveals,
double keystone and steps continuing up to half glazed double doors.
Doric stone order to ground floor, Ionic order to 1st floor with
triangular pediment. Gable parapet to porch has corbelled kneelers,
finial and balls. Round headed upper lights in windows, transoms to
ground floor windows. Stone string courses. Armorial crest over
entrance. Badge and '1908' on rainwater heads. N front terraced with
2-storeys rectangular bay windows at each end, gabled centre with
semi-octagonal bay, and one window to each side. Interior planned round
central staircase. Oak stair round small square well with moulded and
splat balusters, arcaded at ground floor, and lit by large 5-lights
stained glass window. Segmental arched panelled, stone floored, entrance
hall with prominent cornice. 3-panels heavy oak doors in deep moulded
doorcases. Drawing room 2 steps down with ceiling of heavy moulded beams
and joists giving coffered effect. Panelled to 3/4 height. Arcaded
openwork upper part to elaborate chimneypiece in Jacobean style.
Elaborate panelling of doors. (Attribution established by Mr. Fleck of
Hitchin Museum from local authority building records: for client see
Priestley's monument at N end of Preston churchyard nearby).


Listing NGR: TL1828926103

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.