This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9258 / 51°55'32"N
Longitude: -0.2638 / 0°15'49"W
OS Eastings: 519485
OS Northings: 226675
OS Grid: TL194266
Mapcode National: GBR J7M.64K
Mapcode Global: VHGNS.CVXK
Entry Name: 1 North Wing, 2 North Wing, South Wing and West Wing, at St Ibbs
Listing Date: 28 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347427
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162659
Location: St. Ippolyts, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: St Ippolyts
Built-Up Area: Hitchin
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
ST IPPOLLITTS LONDON ROAD
TL 12 NE (West side)
3/47 North Wing, 2 North Wing,
- South Wing, and West Wing,
at St. Ibbs
House, now 4 residences. C18, enlarged and converted to clergy house
c.1786 by Rev. Thomas Pinnock, alterations c.1801 for his successor
Rev. William Lax, C19 parallel rear range, S wing dated by plaque on E
end 'HAK 1914' converted and house sub-divided 1965-70. Stucco lined as
ashlar. Rear range and S wing in red brick. Steep pitched hipped slate
roofs. Tiled roof to S wing. A large 2-storeys and attics house, set
back in its grounds, facing E, with 2 parallel ranges and S wing
extending to W from SW corner. Symmetrical E front has 3-windows wide
centre, projecting central porch and slightly higher projecting wings.
Plat-band arched-up over ground floor windows, plinth, moulded cornice
at eaves level below parapet. Plat-band carried round single-storey
central porch. Pillared Doric entrance in stucco with echinus moulded
capitals, reeded architrave and triglyphs to entablature slightly
recessed sash windows with square heads to centre now with 2/2 panes.
Venetian windows to wings with semi-circular central lights on ground
floor but segmental arched on 1st floor. 6-panels fielded door up 3
steps. Large semi-circular projecting 2-storeys bay with garden entrance
on N side of N wing. Parallel rear wing has dentilled cornice and sash
windows with 6/6 panes and blind boxes to 1st floor. Canted bay window
to ground floor on W and similar 2-storeys bay on N end. Entrance in S
end of this range by half-glazed door with segmental radial fanlight and
moulded flat hood on scrolled brackets. Possibly a coaching inn called
The Magpie or The White Swan before conversion to clergy house in 1786.
(Inf Mrs. Rance) .
Listing NGR: TL1948526675
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings