History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wymondley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9436 / 51°56'36"N

Longitude: -0.236 / 0°14'9"W

OS Eastings: 521348

OS Northings: 228700

OS Grid: TL213287

Mapcode National: GBR J7G.150

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.VDMX

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Last Amended: 28 May 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347429

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162790

Location: Wymondley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wymondley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Wymondley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Hitchin

Listing Text

WYMONDLEY WYMONDLEY ROAD
TL 2128 (North side)
Great Wymondley

10/178 The Manor House
27.5.68 (formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse)

GV II*

House. C15 probably for Alington family, early C17 rebuild of hall range
with 2-storeys, chimney on site of cross-passage, and 2-storeys porch.
Alterations in late C17. Timber frame with brick sill, roughcast, ground
floor cased in red brick. Steep old red tile roofs. Slate roof at rear
to E half of hall range. 2-storeys house with hall range and 2
crosswings, in NW angle of crossroads, facing S. Jettied upper floor to
S end of W crosswing, hall range, and upper storey of porch jettied on
3 sides. 2 diagonal square shafts to internal chimney rising in rear
roofslope. E wall chimney with 2 diagonal shafts on E side of E wing.
Lean-to ground level cellar to rear of E wing. 2 windows to each floor
of hall range, 2-lights casements with 3-lights casement below jetty
to LH of porch. Lattice leaded casements renewed. 2-lights casement
window to each floor of gable of E wing. Small 2-lights ovolo-moulded
window in each side of lower storey of open porch. Old moulded plank
door in heavy moulded frame with ovolo and fillet and jamb stops.
Dragon-beams exposed in ceiling of porch. Interior has exposed frame
with jowled posts, curved braces to tie-beams on 1st floor, paired
tension braces in front and sidewalls of wings, clasped purlin roofs,
W wing has undivided 1st floor, similar 2-bays E wing has had
tie-beam removed. Chamber over hall has small high blocked 2-light
ovolo windows flanking front window. Ovolo moulded axial beam in this
room. Stone fireplace with 4-centred opening and double ovolo moulded
jambs with high stops. Foliage and shields in spandrels. When old
service rooms in W wing made into kitchen a larder was provided in a
W end extension, and a staircase included. The parlour in the E wing
has a fireplace with a 4-centred chamfered brick opening and canted
rear corners, staircase in bay to rear. Unusually extensive remains
of wall paintings uncovered in 5 rooms. Early C16 fragmentary black
letter painted inscriptions in chamber over kitchen. Other scenes late
C16 or early C17 in parlour and in the other 1st floor rooms. Parlour:
a frieze of black-letter text in elaborate frames, diamond and
rectangular, above walls of geometric and floral pattern with shallow
quatrefoils enclosing sprays of flowers. Chamber over parlour: on N
window wall, shallow frieze of squares with 4-lobed ornaments above
wall with repeat pattern of diamonds and scrolls containing a Tudor
rose and decorative motifs. Black and white with touches of green and
pale red. In chamber over hall a diamond pattern framing flower motifs
and a rectangular panel over fireplace. The chamber in the upper part
of the porch has a pedimented architectural composition on its N wall
with indications of capitals. (RCHM (1911)106: VCH (1912)182: Kelly
(1914)295: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL2134828700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.