History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Minsden Chapel at North East Corner of Minsden Plantation Grid Reference Tl 1982 2458

A Grade II Listed Building in Langley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9069 / 51°54'24"N

Longitude: -0.2596 / 0°15'34"W

OS Eastings: 519820

OS Northings: 224580

OS Grid: TL198245

Mapcode National: GBR J7T.F5L

Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.GB3J

Entry Name: Minsden Chapel at North East Corner of Minsden Plantation Grid Reference Tl 1982 2458

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162866

Location: Langley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Langley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Ippolyts

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

TL 12 SE LANGLEY WHITWELL ROAD
(West side)

4/74 Minsden Chapel at
27.5.68 NE corner of Minsden
Plantation Grid Ref
TL 1982 2458

II

Ruined chapel. Probably C14, mentioned in 1450, a ruin by end of C17.
Flint rubble, plastered externally, with stone dressings. Remains of red
brick bellcote at W gable. A small 2-cells church with nave and narrow
square ended chancel. Diagonal buttresses at E end of chancel and W end
of nave, but set-back corner buttress to E end of nave suggest that the
church is of one build. 2 other buttresses to each side of nave. Line of
creasing of lower chancel roof on E end of nave. Central doorway and 2
holes for windows on S side of nave. N doorway in same bay but further
to W. Much of S wall of nave stands to full height and W wall with put
log holes at 3 levels. N wall more fragmentary. Rough opening for
chancel arch in E wall. Half-metre high walls of chancel with tall SE
angle pier. Line of beam sockets across E face of W wall of nave at
eaves height. Inscribed stone floor slab in chancel 'IN MEMORIAM/
REGINALD L HINE/HISTORIAN/OF HITCHIN/1883-1949/REQUIESCAT IN PACE'.
Hine's ashes were scattered here. The church was dedicated to
St. Nicholas and served the hamlets of Preston, Langley and Minsden
until church rates were levied in this area for St. Mary's Hitchin and
the church here fell into ruin. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Herts
No.14). (RCHM (1911)137-8: VCH (1912)18: Pevsner (1977)247-8).


Listing NGR: TL1982024580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.