History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sadleirs End

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9101 / 51°54'36"N

Longitude: -0.286 / 0°17'9"W

OS Eastings: 517998

OS Northings: 224896

OS Grid: TL179248

Mapcode National: GBR H6G.6HF

Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.0851

Entry Name: Sadleirs End

Listing Date: 8 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347463

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162870

Location: Preston, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Preston

Built-Up Area: Preston (North Hertfordshire)

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Great Offley

Listing Text

TL 1724 & TL 1824 PRESTON CHEQUERS LANE
(East side)

8/78 & 9/78 Sadleirs End

GV II

House. Early C16, inserted chimney and floor C17; brick casing and large
W gable chimney with oven, dated '1719' on plaster panel in recess over
door; W chimney-top removed and gabled NW rear extension c.1970. Timber
frame on flint sill, red brick for infill panels, Flemish-bond casing to
front and W end, and rear extensions. Steep old red tile roofs. A
2-storeys, 3 windows long house facing S with recessed panels over door
a third from W end into lobby-entry by large internal stack formerly
with a winding stair to rear of it. S front has a chamfered plinth,
plat-band and box eaves. Plat-band carried across W gable at eaves
level. 3 2-lights flush Yorkshire sliding casements to 1st floor with
small panes. 2-lights flush casements to ground floor, with French doors
to right of 6-panels fielded door with flat moulded hood on shaped
brackets. Built as a 3-bays framed structure with heavy jowled posts,
curved tension braces notched across the backs of the, studs so as not to
show on the exterior, clasped-purlin roof with straight wind-braces.
Inserted floor to middle bay on chamfered axial beam with stops and
chamfers to joists and fireplace lintel matching (ogee). Plain squared
joists on axial beams to end bays look later. The C17 chimney was built
in the E side of the W bay, and the much larger fireplace and oven added
to the former W gable in 1719 occupies the whole depth of the house.


Listing NGR: TL1799824896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.