History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Bucks Head Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Wymondley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9319 / 51°55'54"N

Longitude: -0.2349 / 0°14'5"W

OS Eastings: 521454

OS Northings: 227405

OS Grid: TL214274

Mapcode National: GBR J7G.TP0

Mapcode Global: VHGNS.WP5V

Entry Name: The Bucks Head Public House

Listing Date: 27 May 1968

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347465

English Heritage Legacy ID: 162781

Location: Wymondley, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4

County: Hertfordshire

District: North Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Wymondley

Built-Up Area: Little Wymondley

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Wymondley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stevenage

Listing Text

WYMONDLEY STEVENAGE ROAD
TL 2127 (South side)
Little Wymondley

11/169 The Bucks Head P.H.
27.5.68
GV II

Inn, now a public house. Late C16 or early C17 built for Nedham family,
post-Reformation Lords of the Manor, as Black Buck's Head Inn named
after their crest. Altered in C17. Sold by family in 1712. Timber frame
on brick sill, panelled roughcast with plain margins. Exposed timber
framing on E side. Steep old red tile roofs. A 2-storeys and cellar,
H-plan, 3-cells, lobby-entry, internal chimney plan inn facing N with
only the gabled and jettied 1st floor of the 2 wings projecting to the
front, and the staircase to the rear of the stack. Middle part of N
front has entrance up steps with boarded door in heavy frame next the W
wing, deep coved eaves cornice, and shallow rectangular 2-storeys bay
window. Canted bay window below jetty of E wing, with 3-lights casement
window with small panes to 1st floor of each wing and ground floor of W
wing. Interior has exposed framework with jowled posts, axial chamfered
and hollow-stopped beams to 2-bays hall part, old joists remaining in
part of floor in E wing, and plain squared joists over the W wing. Large
internal chimney serving hall and W wing built in stages. Clasped-purlin
roofs. Pegged bracket supporting E end of axial floor beam in hall and
eaves-cove suggest the hall range was heightened in the C17 to make 2
full floors. The fireplaces serving the W wing and the 1st floor are
probably later additions. (RCHM (1911)149: VCH (1912)186-7: inf
Mr. Farris).


Listing NGR: TL2145427405

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.