History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Standon Lordship West, and Standon Lordship East (On West Back of River Rib 1 Kilometre South of Standon Village)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Standon, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8742 / 51°52'27"N

Longitude: 0.0215 / 0°1'17"E

OS Eastings: 539257

OS Northings: 221444

OS Grid: TL392214

Mapcode National: GBR LC7.D82

Mapcode Global: VHHLS.B562

Entry Name: Standon Lordship West, and Standon Lordship East (On West Back of River Rib 1 Kilometre South of Standon Village)

Listing Date: 4 December 1951

Last Amended: 23 November 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347501

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160998

Location: Standon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Standon

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Standon

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text


TL 32 SE STANDON BARWICK ROAD
(east side)

1/23 Standon Lordship west, and
Standon Lordship east (on
4.12.51 W back of River Rib 1 km S
of Standon village)
(formerly listed as Standon Lordship
GV Manor House)

II*

Country house, now 2 houses. 1540-46 for Sir Ralph Sadleir
(strapwork stone plaque with '1546' next entrance), fragmentary
remains of Tudor courtyard house extended c1872 by John Thorpe
for 2nd Duke of Wellington, extensively renovated after fire of
1927. Red brick with remains of diaper work and traces of
plastered surrounds of window openings. C19 half-timbering at
rear with diagonal red brick nogging. Old red tiled roofs. The
present building incorporates the W range, gateway arch and other
fragments of an important C16 courtyard house where Queen
Elizabeth spent 3 days in 1561 (EHA Trans. II 1905-7, 89).
Remarkable arrangement of 4 newel staircases in semi-octagonal
turrets flanking the entrance gateway. Lower courses of 2
turrets remain at front, one capped off, one with a bay window,
on right. Wide 4-centred archway of 3 moulded orders with
dripmould, all with remains of plaster facing. The part to the
right of the archway, of 2 storeys and attics, is original with 2
gables having moulded brick copings and the stumps of former
pinnacles, and original chimneys with tall diagonal shafts. To
the left of the archway (Standon Lordship East) a carefully
detailed C19 building has been built in old materials on the old
footings of the west range and NW turret. Mullioned timber
windows in rectangular openings. Stone reset in SE wing with 'RS
1546'. Remains of N, E and S ranges in garden with semi-
underground service rooms to hall in S range blocked up with
hollow chamfered openings. Interior said to have several stone
moulded fireplaces with carved spandrels and 4-centred arched
openings. (Buckler drawing of 1834 in HRO, RCHM (1911) 208, RCHM
Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3925721444

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.