History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Causeway House

A Grade II Listed Building in Braughing, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9073 / 51°54'26"N

Longitude: 0.0274 / 0°1'38"E

OS Eastings: 539563

OS Northings: 225142

OS Grid: TL395251

Mapcode National: GBR LBV.7S2

Mapcode Global: VHHLL.FBB5

Entry Name: Causeway House

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347514

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161168

Location: Braughing, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Braughing

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Braughing

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

Braughing village
TL 3925 BRAUGHING CHURCH END
(east side)

9/25 No 3 (Causeway House)

19.10.51

GV II


House. Early C17, altered in late C17, extended in late C17 or
early C18. Timber frame plastered, with steep old red tile
roofs. A 3-unit, central-chimney, lobby-entry plan house facing
W. Originally of 2 storeys, on attic floor was inserted in late
C17, 3 gables added to the front, and the gabled rear staircase
tower heightened. The central brick chimney probably replaced a
timber framed chimney at the time, and the house was extended to
south by one bay. The parlour at the N end has a cellar below
it, the hall to the left of the entrance has the stair rising out
of it. The external gable chimney on the N replaces one on the
rear wall now a bay window. 2 storeys and attics, 3 windows long
W elevation has flush 3-light leaded casements and small windows
in the 3 gables. 6-panel door flanked by fluted pilasters under
a gabled hood. Tall central chimney with grouped square shafts.
Interior has large open fireplaces, chamfered beams, clasped-
purlin roof with wind-braces. S extension has butt-purlin roof
construction with rafters tennoned into the purlins, and winding
staircase in turret. (RCHM (1911) 68: RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL3956325142

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.