History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Number 6 and Forecourt Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Braughing, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.9076 / 51°54'27"N

Longitude: 0.0277 / 0°1'39"E

OS Eastings: 539583

OS Northings: 225168

OS Grid: TL395251

Mapcode National: GBR LBV.7V6

Mapcode Global: VHHLL.FBH0

Entry Name: Number 6 and Forecourt Wall

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Last Amended: 24 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347515

English Heritage Legacy ID: 161170

Location: Braughing, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Braughing

Built-Up Area: Braughing

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Braughing

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

Braughing village
(east side)

9/27 No 6 and forecourt wall
(formerly listed as The
22.2.67 Old Boys School)


House now a meeting room and house and forecourt wall. C16 or
earlier (date 1574 carved on front) renovated in 1860. Exposed
timber frame with close-studding, red brick herringbone nogging,
and steep red tiled roof with decorative banding of pointed
tiles. Red brick and knapped flint C19 forecourt wall linked to
house. Former hall house with 2 jettied, gabled crosswings
projecting to front (N). Large front-wall external lateral
chimney in red brick with diaper pattern, stone shield dated
1860, and 2 diagonal shafts. 4-central arched wooden doorway on
right with carved spandrels and plank door, and similar doorway
into LH crosswing. Large external chimney at E end with diagonal
shafts. Cusped pierced bargeboards to front gables. Wings
hipped at rear. Bracketed oriel windows of little projection on
both floors, with 2- and 3-light cast iron casements with
elongated lozenge panel. Renovated in C19 as a village school.
(RCHM (1911) 68).

Listing NGR: TL3958325168

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.