This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9506 / 51°57'2"N
Longitude: -0.2769 / 0°16'36"W
OS Eastings: 518518
OS Northings: 229417
OS Grid: TL185294
Mapcode National: GBR H5W.NTQ
Mapcode Global: VHGNS.47ZH
Entry Name: Manor House Galleries
Listing Date: 13 April 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 161415
Location: North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5
District: North Hertfordshire
Town: North Hertfordshire
Electoral Ward/Division: Hitchin Highbury
Built-Up Area: Hitchin
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hitchin
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
5255 (West Side)
TL 1829 SE 4/14 13.4.51
(The Manor Rouse Galleries' of Messrs Phillips). Fine house of circa
1700, In two sections, which abut yet are distinct. Both sections show
careful restoration. (? the Southern section may be a later continuation
of the design of the main, Northern, facade). 2 storeys in red brick,
with moulded brick modillioned cornice below a plain parapet, which partly
masks the steep tiled roof (two leaded dormers in the Northern section).
9 windows with curved heads, all in broad almost flush frames: those in
ground floor have projecting brick keystones, running up into the string
at first floor level; those in upper floor have plain brick aprons. Northern
section (symmetrical 5 window facade) has a magnificent carved wooden
porch, so tall and so splendid that it may well have been brought from
some more imposing facade (possibly of late C17 rather than later). Fluted
Corinthian columns and pilasters, carved modillions, carved end rounded
head enclosing a carved cartouche; the whole backed by rusticated woodwork,
in which a round-headed recess contains the door of eight fielded panels
(the lower half divided by diagonals into four triangular panels) beneath
a carved semi-circular fanlight. Elliptically arched carriageway on left.
Nos 21 to 28 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: TL1851629426
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings