History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Abbotts Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Widford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8196 / 51°49'10"N

Longitude: 0.0558 / 0°3'20"E

OS Eastings: 541793

OS Northings: 215444

OS Grid: TL417154

Mapcode National: GBR LCV.WFG

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.XJCF

Entry Name: Abbotts Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347716

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160005

Location: Widford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Widford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Widford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stanstead Abbots

Listing Text

TL 4115 WIDFORD ABBOTTS LANE
(south side)
Widford village

5/23 Abbotts Farmhouse

-

- II


House. Possibly late medieval, chimney inserted backing onto
cross passage c1600, enlarged to W and altered in 1913 (RCHM
Typescript). Timberframed and roughcast with C19 tile-hanging to
upper storey. Large 1913 extension as cross wing to W in
matching materials at front (N) but red brick at rear. Old red
tiled half-hipped roofs. A 3-unit plan house of 4 structural
bays. Service end at E floored over in early C18 but 3-centred
buttery door arch survives paired with a C19 copy. Chimney backs
onto cross passage (rear door in use) and present clasped purlin
roof is designed without wind braces in the chimney bay. Long
bay for hall to W of chimney with heavy timberframed partition on
Ground floor and wattle and daub infilled truss in roof.
Original W parlour bay has heavy axial joists. 1913 extension
beyond. 2 storeys irregular N front with 4 windows and gabled
open porch to older part. 2-light flush casements with small
panes. Projecting half-hipped gable and W part of 1913 extension
on right with same treatment. Small external gable chimney at E,
old central chimney rebuilt above roof. 2-bay C17 single storey
timberframed and weatherboarded kitchen extending to rear with
gabled old tile roof. Large cast iron pump with large flywheel
handle next to kitchen. Late C19 3-sided bay window and glazed
rear door joined under tiled canopy at rear. Clasped purlin roof
with wind braces. Queen post and collar trusses with principals
notched but not reduced above collar. Exposed timbers inside
include stepped jowl bay posts and curved braces to tie beams,
and structure of floor and partitions. An edge-halved scarf with
bridled butts in the rear wall plate is more typical of the C15
or C16. So that if the roof was rebuilt c1600 when the chimney
was built, then the house may be that of John Abbot resident in
1438 (HLHS (1979) 300. Altered and extended for Francis Pawle on
his marriage in 1913. An historic medieval timberframed house.


Listing NGR: TL4179315444

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.