History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Countryman Public House (Opposite Chipping Hall)

A Grade II Listed Building in Buckland, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9697 / 51°58'10"N

Longitude: -0.0279 / 0°1'40"W

OS Eastings: 535571

OS Northings: 231968

OS Grid: TL355319

Mapcode National: GBR K8N.KRJ

Mapcode Global: VHGNQ.GRMF

Entry Name: The Countryman Public House (Opposite Chipping Hall)

Listing Date: 13 December 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347744

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160266

Location: Buckland, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Buckland

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Reed and Buckland

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Cottered

Listing Text

TL 33 SE BUCKLAND HIGH ROAD (A10)
(East side)
Chipping

1/45 The Countryman PH
- (opposite Chipping Hall)

GV II

House, now a PH. C16 or early C17, mid/late C17 interior chimney and
inserted floor in middle part, S part rebuilt in early C18 (probably
when sold in 1719 as the Red Lion PH to Mr. Beale), N part rebuilt in
C18, W and S sides of building cased in brick and gable added to N part
probably when adjoining cottages cleared in 1913. Name changed in later
C20. Timber frame roughcast but W front and S end cased in painted
brick. Steep pitched roof with rear outshut, thatched in Buckler dwg of
1841 (HRO) but now slated. Gabled tiled porch. A 2-storeys, 3-cells,
internal chimney plan house facing W with shorter rear outshut, chimney
a third from S end, and higher floor levels in N part with C19 external
gable chimney. 2-bay middle part entered next N end, with back to back
fireplaces in stack. 3 windows W front has paired recessed Gd floor sash
windows joined under segmental arches, and 2-light casement windows
over, all with small panes. Glazed gabled porch with high brick sill.
Single-storey flat-roofed small block against N gable. Interior has
exposed timbers, with jowled posts, cut away curved braces on 1st floor,
straight tension braces in rear wall, chamfered axial beams and squared
joists on ground floor, heavy studs of partition wall with sill-plate in
middle part and later cross-beam on higher N part. Good, chamfered,
3-centred arched late C17 red brick fireplace to upper room at S end.
Lintel to open fireplace to bar said to have been inscribed '1743' but
now recently carved with date 1663 in relief. (Branch Johnson (1962) 46).


Listing NGR: TL3557131968

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.