History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Werburg

A Grade II Listed Building in Warburton, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3984 / 53°23'54"N

Longitude: -2.4454 / 2°26'43"W

OS Eastings: 370479

OS Northings: 389152

OS Grid: SJ704891

Mapcode National: GBR CYC4.CH

Mapcode Global: WH98M.DVR3

Entry Name: Church of Saint Werburg

Listing Date: 12 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347816

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212935

Location: Warburton, Trafford, WA13

County: Trafford

Civil Parish: Warburton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Warburton St Werburgh

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Warburton

Listing Text

SJ 78 NE WARBURTON BENT LANE
(east side)

6/174 Church of
- Saint Werburg

G.V. II

Church. 1883-5.John Douglas for Mr. R. E. Egerton-
Warburton. Snecked red sandstone and clay tile roof. Nave
with north aisle and south porch; chancel and north-east
tower. 4 bay nave/aisle with moulded sill band, continuous
hoodmoulds, overhanging eaves and steeply pitched roof with
cusped statue niche above a arched doorway, otherwise the
aisle has 2-light and the nave 3 and 4-light windows in each
bay with free Perpendicular (or Decorated) tracery. No
buttresses except for those to west, to chancel, and that
which separates the nave and chancel which is of massive
proportions, gableted, weathered and with a sundial mounted
on one of the upper faces. The 3-bay chancel is similar in
treatment except for a coped parapet. 3-stage tower with
diagonal buttresses weathered several times; 2 2-light
belfry openings in each face, enriched band, castellations
and diagonally set corner pinnacles with crockets.
Interior: nave arcade with octagonal columns and moulded
capitals and bases. Arch-braced roof trusses and barrel
roof to chancel. Font cover dated 1595 and oak chest from
Old Saint Werburg's church (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SJ7047989152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.