History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8121 / 51°48'43"N

Longitude: 0.152 / 0°9'7"E

OS Eastings: 548448

OS Northings: 214798

OS Grid: TL484147

Mapcode National: GBR LD5.98J

Mapcode Global: VHHM1.LQ76

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 2 October 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347857

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160877

Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Built-Up Area: Sawbridgeworth

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sawbridgeworth

Listing Text

VANTORTS ROAD
1.
5253
(East Side)
No 1 and Church House
TL 4844 1479:3/64
II GV
2.
C17 and later. Weatherboarded tall single storey building with attics
facing onto Bell Street with early C19 red brick 2 storey corner block
facing onto Vantorts Road. Older part (Church House) has white painted
weatherboarding above a renewed brick base and E gable pebbledashed.
Steep old red tile roof with bellcast and broad plaster coved eaves to
front (N) and 3,C19 tiled gabled dormers with 3 light wooden casements and
boarded cheeks and gables. C19 Gothic moulded drip moulds to 3 windows
and door near W corner. Tall 2 light mullioned and transomed wooden cross
windows with fancy leaded glazing. 9 panel door with studs. Interior now
a single hall with attics over. Deeds 1652-1875 record its use as a
workhouse and then a school. Marked as school on OS 25" 1879. No 1 is
early C19, 2 storeys and cellar red brick with lighter red rubbed brick
flat arches and low pitched hipped slate roof with wide overhanging eaves
and flat plastered soffit. 1 window to Church Street, 3 to Vantorts Road.
Reserved rounded corner swept out to square in line with the heads of the
upper windows. Projecting low plinth. Rear chimney against W gable of
Church House. Smaller chimney on S gable and. Recessed sash windows with
8/8 panes to 1st floor and larger ground floor windows with 6/6 panes.
Central roundheaded recess on N. Gd floor with window and high cill.
Window has radiating glazing bars. Door next S corner. Corner group of
importance in street views and from churchyard.


Listing NGR: TL4844814798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.