This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6625 / 51°39'45"N
Longitude: -0.4598 / 0°27'35"W
OS Eastings: 506628
OS Northings: 197096
OS Grid: TQ066970
Mapcode National: GBR 1Q.W70
Mapcode Global: VHFSK.ZG9V
Entry Name: Redheath
Listing Date: 1 September 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1347875
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158972
Location: Sarratt, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD3
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Sarratt
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Croxley Green All Saints
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 09 SE
Country house, now school. 1712 front range added for C. Finch to a C16
house, now gone. Altered 1743, extended and altered 1866 for H.C. Finch.
Further extended in C20. Brown-red brick with lighter red brick
dressings. Hipped tiled roof. 9 bays, 1 room deep. 3 storeys. Central 3
bays project slightly. Central entrance: 8 panelled door with rusticated
surround, vermiculated blocks on Roman Doric pilasters, richly carved
brackets to semi-domed hood. Moulded plinth. Glazing bar sashes in
moulded flush frames, gauged brick flat arched heads, those flanking and
above entrance scalloped. Cyma reversa plat band over ground floor, Cyma
recta floating cornices over central first floor windows. Ovolo plat
band over first floor on outer sections. Small 9 pane sashes on second
floor, '1712' cut into brick in recessed apron below central window.
Eaves cornice. Central cupola on ridge, a C20 replacement of 1743
original. Square drum with moulded cornice, octagonal bell turret with
Roman Doric columns to ogee leaded dome with weathervane finial. 3 bay
right return, plat bands, altered openings. Ground floor: 2 sashes.
First floor, central cross casement, small vertical casement to right,
blind opening to left. Second floor: 2 light central and 1 light right
casements, blind opening to left. Left return: 2 bays, plat bands,
glazing bar sashes, blocked cellar windows. Rear wall has altered
openings and brickwork. Ground floor lean-to addition to centre. c19
stacks on rear ridge. 1 storey C19 block to rear left: 3 bays, glazed
entrance, flanking sashes, roof hipped to rear. Interior: some original
bolection moulded fielded panelling on ground floor, stone fireplace in
hall. (VCH 1908: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript). C20 additions not of
Listing NGR: TQ0662897096
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings