History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Anne

A Grade II Listed Building in Sale Moor, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4209 / 53°25'15"N

Longitude: -2.3096 / 2°18'34"W

OS Eastings: 379524

OS Northings: 391609

OS Grid: SJ795916

Mapcode National: GBR DX9W.SF

Mapcode Global: WH98P.H8FT

Entry Name: Church of Saint Anne

Listing Date: 12 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347890

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212922

Location: Trafford, M33

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Sale Moor

Built-Up Area: Sale

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Sale St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Sale

Listing Text

SJ 79 SE SALE CHURCH ROAD

3/163 Church of
- Saint Anne

- II

Church. 1854 by William Hayley but much altered and enlarged in
1860, and in 1864 and 1887 by John Lowe; Baptistery 1960.
Rock-faced stone, ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave with
aisles, north-west tower, west baptistery transepts: chancel
with vestrys and organ chamber. Projecting plinth, sill
mould, coped parapet and gables with kneelers. Victorian
Gothic. 4-bay aisles and nave which each have a pitched
roof. Each bay has a 2 or 3-light window with curvili near
tracery and a weathered buttress. The semi-octagonal
baptistery is of 1 storey and has crocketed pinnacles. 2-
stage tower with diagonal buttresses with enriched gablets,
2-light belfry openings, enriched eaves band, castellated
parapet, heavy corner pinnacles and a spire with lucarnes
and weather-cock. The transepts have a raked parapet, the
north with a 3-light window under a crocketed ogee
hoodmould. 2-bay chancel and l-bay sanctuary with 5-light
east window and bold pinnacles. Interior: double-chamfered
nave arcade on twin thin cast iron columns (1854) with
enriched capitals having a pierced cast iron valence. Arch-
braced collar roof trusses with arcading. Quadripartite
vault over crossing. Replacement organ in north transept.
Carved timber pulpit, choir stalls and altar table. Stained
glass and remnants of wall paintings.


Listing NGR: SJ7952491609

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.