History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn with Attached Well House 30 Yards East of Paddlesworth Old Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Snodland, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3337 / 51°20'1"N

Longitude: 0.4177 / 0°25'3"E

OS Eastings: 568516

OS Northings: 162177

OS Grid: TQ685621

Mapcode National: GBR NNZ.BDS

Mapcode Global: VHJLZ.6Q5Y

Entry Name: Barn with Attached Well House 30 Yards East of Paddlesworth Old Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 August 1953

Last Amended: 16 December 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347909

English Heritage Legacy ID: 179406

Location: Snodland, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, ME6

County: Kent

District: Tonbridge and Malling

Civil Parish: Snodland

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Snodland All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Meopham

Listing Text

TQ 66 SE
3/230

SNODLAND
PADDLESWORTH ROAD (north side)
Barn with attached well house 30 yards east of Paddlesworth Old Farmhouse

(Formerly listed as Barn 30 yards east of Paddlesworth Old Farmhouse)

1.8.53

GV
II
Probable former hall-house, later converted into an apple store with well house, now barn and store. Late C15 or early Cl6 hall-house, extended by one bay at south end, altered and well house added in C18. Timber-framed with red brick ground floor in English bond, revealing some exposed framing, and weatherboarded first floor. Plain tiled hipped roof with gablet to north. Two storeys; one window on first floor to right, three-light casement either side of central entrance. North side has window opening with diagonal mullion holes. South side has casement window with early C19 metal casement. Gabled timber-framed entrance with small boarded door to right. Upper part of entrance abuts on to west wall of barn with exposed arched braces with wattle and brick infill.

Well house under left part of entrance, now blocked, with wooden winding gear above and original slate tank to left. Frame is morticed, tenoned and pegged. Series of graffiti inscribed on frame, the earliest 1831.

Barn interior of five bays, the fifth bay added in the C18. Collar-purlin roof with three crownposts. Some tension braces to tie beams missing. Smoke blackened timbers. Heavily jowled posts. Floors probably inserted later, at time that fifth bay was added at south end.

Well houses are a rare survival.

Listing NGR: TQ6943362098

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.