History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Block at Walkern Hall (30 Metres to North East of Hall)

A Grade II Listed Building in Walkern, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9081 / 51°54'29"N

Longitude: -0.1111 / 0°6'39"W

OS Eastings: 530034

OS Northings: 224969

OS Grid: TL300249

Mapcode National: GBR K9B.8QQ

Mapcode Global: VHGP2.193L

Entry Name: Stable Block at Walkern Hall (30 Metres to North East of Hall)

Listing Date: 31 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347979

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159670

Location: Walkern, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Walkern

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Walkern

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

TL 32 SW WALKERN CLAY END
(south side)

4/2 Stable Block at
Walkern Hall
- (30m to NE of hall)

GV II

Stable block. 1827-30 by J Pemberton for J Izzard. Brown stock
brick with yellow gauged arches. Slate roofs with moulded wood
eaves cornices. Timber colonnade on S to cobbled yard. An
arcaded 9-bay single-storey stable range facing S with a 2-
storeys pavillion at each end. S front has round arched
openings, alternately framed and boarded doors with cast-iron
radial fanlights, and tall cast iron framed windows with small
panes, centralpivotted opening and matching heads. Wall set
back behind a timber colonnade of 4 wide-paned unfluted Greek
Doric columns. Pedimented advanced centre on S face of each
pavillion with triumphal arch motif with double doors to coach
house, and smaller side doors under flat arches. Small sash
windows over side doors with 5/5 panes. W pavillion has bell in
octagonal cupola with ogee roof and vane. Circular clock dial in
pediment. E pavillion surmounted by gilded vane. Ground floor
of W pavillion altered for double garage doors. N front
unaltered with 6-bay arcaded centre and blind triumphal arch
motif to pedimented pavillions 3 tall ventilators along stable
roof. Stable interiors complete and in use with cast iron framed
framed partitions yellow brick herringbone floor and iron
mangers. Mounting blocks in yard to S. (G Curtis A Chronicle of
Small Beer (1970) 8).


Listing NGR: TL3003424969

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.