History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4 and 5, Clay End

A Grade II Listed Building in Walkern, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9082 / 51°54'29"N

Longitude: -0.1048 / 0°6'17"W

OS Eastings: 530469

OS Northings: 224988

OS Grid: TL304249

Mapcode National: GBR K9B.BBM

Mapcode Global: VHGP2.49GK

Entry Name: 4 and 5, Clay End

Listing Date: 31 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1347980

English Heritage Legacy ID: 159674

Location: Walkern, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Walkern

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Walkern

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ardeley

Listing Text

TL 32 SW WALKERN CLAY END
(south side)

4/6 Nos 4, and 5

-

- II

House, now 2 houses. C16 or earlier open hall house, renovated
as 2 houses in Gothick style in mid C19. Timber frame roughcast
with steep hipped roof with gablets, of old red tiles. 2-
storeys, 4-windows long, facing W, with No 4 on S occupying lower
bay of hall and service end. Wide C19 Tudor arched doorway with
battened door into each half. 3-light cast iron flush lattice
casement windows. Similar windows in half-octagonal bay window
to left of door to No 5, and shallow rectangular hipped bay
window, to No 4. External rear chimney with 2 tall octagonal
shafts, similar pair to central chimney built in upper bay of
hall, and large 3-shaft external chinmney at N end. Visible
parts of chimneys rebuilt in grey brick in mid Cl9. Interior has
heavy jowled posts, very heavy cambered tie-beams, chamfered with
hollow stops, close-studding in rear wall, chamfered joists in
floor inserted in hall, straight tension braces in close studded
partition at lower end of hall, and an edge-halved scarf joint
with bridled butts in hall wallplate. Clasped-purlin roof with
curved wind-braces exposed in upper chambers. Possibly the
rectory house replaced by one in the High Street in 1632 (q.v.).


Listing NGR: TL3046924988

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.