This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7848 / 51°47'5"N
Longitude: -0.5 / 0°29'59"W
OS Eastings: 503568
OS Northings: 210636
OS Grid: TL035106
Mapcode National: GBR G6D.0FH
Mapcode Global: VHFRZ.9D1M
Entry Name: The Saddlery
Listing Date: 19 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348024
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157916
Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP1
Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
GREAT GADDESDEN LEIGHTON BUZZARD ROAD (A4146)
10/137 The Saddlery
House and shop, now all one house. N wing along roadside c.1600 or
earlier, gabled E wing c.1700, and lower S extension in line with it
c.1750. Timber frame, cased in painted brickwork, stucco or
weatherboarding. Steep old red tile roofs. An L-shaped house, facing W,
of 2 storeys and 1 1/2 storeys. Cellar below former shop in E wing facing
the road. 2 gabled dormers at eaves on W side of S extension and below a
flush box sash window with 10/10 panes to LH and lean-to of painted
brick with glazed door. Large internal chimney with C18 top at junction
of E wing with S extension. Lower N wing now cased in painted brick on N
and painted brick infill on W end with jettied roughcast gable over.
This has a sash window of 3/3 panes and 2 2-light casements below.
Painted brick outshuts to rear. 2-light fixed window to upper floor of E
range on E each of 30 small panes. Interior has exposed framework,
remains of jetty along N side of N wing beside the road, and
ovolo-moulded plank doors. The upper room of the S extension has an open
timber roof and was formerly the village reading room. It has very wide
tapered king-posts to its trusses with side purlins carried on principal
rafters. Formerly Water End Post Office and Stores.
Listing NGR: TL0356810636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings