History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stags End House

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7965 / 51°47'47"N

Longitude: -0.4517 / 0°27'6"W

OS Eastings: 506870

OS Northings: 212010

OS Grid: TL068120

Mapcode National: GBR G68.6NG

Mapcode Global: VHFS0.432L

Entry Name: Stags End House

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348034

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157859

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP2

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Flamstead

Listing Text

GREAT GADDESDEN GADDESDEN LANE
TL 01 SE
(North side)
Stags End
4/78
- Stags End House
- II

Country house, now offices. Early C19 on ancient site (called Tags End
on Tithe Map of 1838 and Gaddesden Bury in 1851), additions in late C19,
interior alterations and staircase 1907 by William Bonnar Hopkins for
Frederick Braund, kitchen wing 1920 by same architect. A 2-storeys
double-pile Neo-classical house facing E with 2-storeys rear wing.
Stucco, white brick rear wing, low-pitched hipped slate roofs. The main
range has a wide oversailing eaves cornice with paired brackets to
soffit. Symmetrical front 9 windows long, additional end-bays set back
half the depth of the house, cornice at 1st floor level and corner
pilasters. Panelled end elevations without windows. Pedimented shallow
central projection of 3 bays fronted by wide porch with 4 unfluted Greek
Doric columns, full entablature, and blocking course. Recessed sash
windows, taller on ground floor with moulded surrounds rising from
plinth. Small panes to sashes, infilling ends of porch. Triple sash
windows to rear wing. Interior has oak staircase and Ionic screens to
stair hall and landing over. Medieval name of site Taggeshende. (RCHM
Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL0687012010

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.