History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial Cross in Churchyard 30 Metres to East of Chancel

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7907 / 51°47'26"N

Longitude: -0.5094 / 0°30'33"W

OS Eastings: 502905

OS Northings: 211272

OS Grid: TL029112

Mapcode National: GBR G65.Q1Q

Mapcode Global: VHFRZ.4824

Entry Name: War Memorial Cross in Churchyard 30 Metres to East of Chancel

Listing Date: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348039

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157880

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP1

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Gaddesden

Listing Text

GREAT GADDESDEN GREAT GADDESDEN
TL 01 SW
(North side)
3/101 War Memorial Cross
- in churchyard 30m to
East of chancel
GV II

War Memorial Cross. Circa 1920, to a standard design by Sir Reginald
Blomfield, called 'The Cross of Sacrifice'. Second inscription added
after 1939-1945 war. Portland stone with bronze sword fixed to cross.
About 4.5m high, facing E, the monument consists of a tapering cross of
chamfered rectangular section with expanded ends to top and arms,
moulded base, tall inscribed plinth of elongated octagonal plan, 2 high
steps above 2 low steps, all of similar plan. The bronze sword, about
two-thirds the height of the cross shaft, has a fluted grip, ogee domed
pommel, simple cross-guard with central boss and 3-lobed ends, and
pronounced central rib to blade. Beside 18 names and regiments, the
primary inscription reads 'IN MEMORY/OF THE MEN/OF THIS PLACE/WHO
FELL/IN THE/GREAT WAR/1914/1918'. At base of plinth 'LET US GIVE /
HUMBLE THANKS /TO ALMIGHTY GOD /FOR VICTORY '.


Listing NGR: TL0290511272

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 14 March 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.