History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8, 8a, 8c, 8b, 10 and 10a, Pickford Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Markyate, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8353 / 51°50'7"N

Longitude: -0.4611 / 0°27'39"W

OS Eastings: 506131

OS Northings: 216312

OS Grid: TL061163

Mapcode National: GBR G5N.XZB

Mapcode Global: VHFRS.Y4MC

Entry Name: 8, 8a, 8c, 8b, 10 and 10a, Pickford Road

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 19 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348051

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157959

Location: Markyate, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Markyate

Built-Up Area: Markyate

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Markyate Street St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Markyate

Listing Text

MARKYATE PICKFORD ROAD
TL 0616
(North side)
8/180 Nos. 8, 8A, 8C,
26.1.67 8B, 10, 10A
(formerly listed as
No. 4 Home Farmhouse)

GV II

2 Houses, now 6 properties. Late C17 or earlier, early C18 brick casing,
mid C18 east house, both much altered internally during subdivision in
1975. Said to be timber framed, exterior in dark red brick with random
grey headers and light red brick dressings. Similar in east house but
walling bricks a lighter red. Steep old red tile roofs, with hipped W
end carried down over end-outshut. A long 2-storeys range fronting
pavement facing S, with older part a symmetrical 4-windows long front
with blank recess over centre door, and end chimneys. Light red brick
used for ovolo bedmould to corbelled eaves band, for corner and jamb
dressings, the chamfered plinth, plat-band, and alternately with black
headers in segmental arches to the ground floor windows. Flush-box sash
windows with 6/6 panes. Pedimented wooden doorcase with fluted pilasters
(renewed). Ground floor of W outshut set back has English-bond below a
plat-band, matching sash window, and large round-headed window lighting
the roofspace. 2-storeys, 2 windows wide east part at a slight angle to
the older house is a careful copy with the age difference betrayed by a
rather sandier-red brick. It has 2 windows on each floor and matching
(renewed) doorcase next the east corner of the older part. 2 modern
dormer windows. The block has 2 2-storeys gabled rear wings carried down
to E and W as outshuts. Roof of older part has staggered butt-purlins
and straight inclined braces to lower angles of trusses. Older part said
to have an early C19 staircase. Formerly a farmhouse called Mayfield,
later Jordan's Farm, the house was the house of Thomas Pickford, founder
of the well-known firm of carriers who died in 1811 and whose tomb
stands in Flamstead churchyard (q.v.). Photos in NMR show timber framing
exposed in rear wings during alterations c.1975. (VCH (1908)187).


Listing NGR: TL0613116312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.