History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hoo

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Gaddesden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.804 / 51°48'14"N

Longitude: -0.498 / 0°29'52"W

OS Eastings: 503656

OS Northings: 212775

OS Grid: TL036127

Mapcode National: GBR G60.T1Q

Mapcode Global: VHFRS.BX2F

Entry Name: The Hoo

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 19 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348057

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157885

Location: Great Gaddesden, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP2

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Great Gaddesden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Great Gaddesden

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Little Gaddesden

Listing Text

GREAT GADDESDEN LEDGEMORE LANE
TL 01 SW
(West side)
3/106 The Hoo
26.1.67 (formerly listed as
The Old Hoo)
- II*

Country house. W range c.1683 for Dr. Edward Green as W wing of older
half-H plan house facing S demolished c.1948. E range c.1948 linked to W
range c.1968. W range plum brick in Flemish bond with some blue headers
and red brick dressings. Steep old red tile roof. A 2-storeys and attics
range facing W. Symmetrical W front, 3 windows wide, centre breaking
forward with heavy Roman Doric doorcase with triglyph frieze, columns,
and triangular pediment. 6-panel raised and fielded door in panelled
reveals and moulded surround. Front has chamfered plinth (now
plastered), moulded band, wooden eaves cornice, flush box sash windows
with 6/6 panes and flat gauged arches. Segmental head and arch to window
over door. S end has 2 similar windows to each floor and smaller sash
window in pedimented gable with dentilled cornice at eaves level. Late
C17 wooden fire surround in N room, with ornate spit-rack over with
cornice. Fire surround contemporary with cornice shelf and central
block. Ovolo moulded half panelling to walls and H-hinges. Shelving
opposite fireplace with shaped brackets and cornice. 2 panel ovolo
moulded doors with H-hinges. Cellar stairs. Stair and entrance hall
tall ovolo panels, moulded dado and cornice. Closed string stair with
barley-sugar balusters from attic staircase. 6 panel door with bars to
segmental headed sashes. RH 1st floor room has reeded moulding with
patera around margin of ceiling. Heavy moulded cornice in RH room with
marble inset to C19 fire surround which may be an original flat marble
surround. Dado panelling 2-panel doors with H hinges. Scrolled ends to
treads of cut-string stair to attic with remaining barley-sugar newels
and swept oak handrail. (RCHM Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL0365612775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.