History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

73 High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Watford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6554 / 51°39'19"N

Longitude: -0.3957 / 0°23'44"W

OS Eastings: 511077

OS Northings: 196402

OS Grid: TQ110964

Mapcode National: GBR 48.6Y8

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.3N59

Entry Name: 73 High Street

Listing Date: 25 October 1977

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158174

Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

Town: Watford

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Watford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Watford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Watford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/04/2014


TQ 1196 SW 10/47
5259

HIGH STREET (North-east side),
No 73

(Formerly listed as No 73 (The Midland Bank))

25.10.77

II

Circa 1905 bank. Single storey banking hall with offices to rear. A sophisticated Baroque Revival design achieving a monumental scale despite the actual size of the building and the narrowness of the site. The forebuilding is faced in horizontal grooved Portland ashlar. Triumphal arch entrance front of Roman Ionic engaged columns on pedestals and archivolt arched doorway. Richly carved festoons above the window and doorheads. Entablature with panelled parapet and central section of balustrading. Behind and with its front pediment lined up on the balustrade of the forebuilding's parapet, rises the centrepiece of the banking hall. This is built in stone, on a Greek cross plan with very shallow, pedimented breaks to each front and bulbous-based, lead clad, shallow saucer dome with vase finial. The exposed side elevation below the pedimented attic is faced in brick and has a stone architrave window with cartouche keystone and elongated shallow consoles supporting moulded cornice. Plain brick office range to rear with Portland stone coping to wall head carried through from Greek cross centrepiece.

Listing NGR: TQ1107796402

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.