This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6585 / 51°39'30"N
Longitude: -0.4001 / 0°24'0"W
OS Eastings: 510764
OS Northings: 196731
OS Grid: TQ107967
Mapcode National: GBR 3F.5SX
Mapcode Global: VHFSM.0KVZ
Entry Name: Monmouth House
Listing Date: 25 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348115
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158205
Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Watford St John
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
7/35 (east side)
Nos 85, 87, 89
91, 93 and 95
The second sentence in part 2 should be amended to read:
'The northern half was entirely rebuilt 1927 by H Colbeck to match the southern half'.
5259 THE PARADE
TQ 1096 NE 7/35 25.11.77 Nos 85,87,89
II 91,93,and 95
Substantial early to mid C17 red brick house built for R Carey, Earl of Monmouth,
died 1639. The northern half was entirely rebuilt 1927 to match the southern half,
which was heavily restored. The rebuilt parts used bricks from Cassiobury House.
Three storey range, 4 coped gables with parapets between. Eight window range to
1st floor, 4-windows to 2nd. Restored casement windows in segment arched openings.
Three light windows to 1st floor and outer 2nd floor openings. Four light in centre
windows. Brick string between 1st and 2nd floors. Modern ground floor.
Two-gabled south end wall with 2 large chimney stacks, part rebuilt. To rear of
this section short C19 wing.
Interior of old section includes much restored C17 oak stair with moulded rail,
turned balusters and square newels. Panelled entrance hall with key blocked arched
surround to entry. Moulded oak fireplace to 2nd floor upper hall. Tie-beam-end-
collar roof trusses with queen struts. Some panelled doors on this floor.
S Castle: Timber-framed buildings in Watford 1977 pp. 24-26.
Listing NGR: TQ1076496731
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings