History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gateway and Attached Walls Approximately 30 Metres North West of Number 42

A Grade II Listed Building in Watford, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6644 / 51°39'51"N

Longitude: -0.4161 / 0°24'58"W

OS Eastings: 509640

OS Northings: 197371

OS Grid: TQ096973

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.MS0

Mapcode Global: VHFSL.QFWD

Entry Name: Gateway and Attached Walls Approximately 30 Metres North West of Number 42

Listing Date: 29 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158222

Location: Watford, Hertfordshire, WD17

County: Hertfordshire

District: Watford

Town: Watford

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Watford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Watford St Luke

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Watford

Listing Text

1.
5259 THE GARDENS
(North West Side)
TQ 0997 NE 3/17 Gateway and attached
walls approx 30m
II north-west of No.42

2.

Gateway and attached walls. Mid/late C16, altered c.1830. Walls of mid/late
C16 red brick with C16 moulded stone string course and head corbels adjoining
gateway; ends of each wall have mid C19 brickwork, probably representing the
truncation of the more extensive C16 walling. Gateway, of stone ashlar and
stuccoed c.1830, has offset diagonal buttresses with gabled tops to front and
chamfered to rear; parapet with moulded string course. Tudor-arched doorway
has label mould with carved stops and blank shields in spandrels to rear, and
hood mould with head stops over mould arch to front which is flanked by
port cullis to right and carved flower to left. History: the walls and
gateway were formerly part of the gardens of Cassiobury Park, a large house
built from 1554 for the Earls of Essex and which was demolished in 1927.


Listing NGR: TQ0964097371

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.