This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7615 / 51°45'41"N
Longitude: -0.2118 / 0°12'42"W
OS Eastings: 523505
OS Northings: 208488
OS Grid: TL235084
Mapcode National: GBR J9M.F8F
Mapcode Global: VHGPL.8ZWJ
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Etherlreda
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158362
Location: Hatfield, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL9
District: Welwyn Hatfield
Civil Parish: Hatfield
Built-Up Area: Hatfield
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bishops Hatfield Saint Etheldreda with Saint Luke
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2308 HATFIELD FORE STREET
15/99 Parish Church of St
Church. C13 and C15. Some work of early C17. 1872 rebuilt
exterior by David Brandon. Flint walls with stone dressings.
Ashlar NE chapel. Cruciform plan with N and S chancel chapels,
transepts with western chapels, N and S porches and W tower.
Tower is 4 stages with setback buttresses, a broad W door with
quatrefoil decoration in the spandrels and a 4-light W window.
Windows of nave and chancel are Decorated style. Interior has
aisleless nave with waggon roof. Narrow W arch with deeply
moulded jambs. Panelled chancel roof. NE chancel chapel (The
Salisbury Chapel) by Francis Carter for Willaim, second Earl of
Salisbury, as mortuary chapel for his father. Perpendicular
style windows. 3-bay arcade to chancel with Tuscan columns of
Shap granite. Interior redecorated in 1871 by third Marquess of
Salisbury: mosaic walls with Alabaster arcade of trefoiled
arches. Painted panelled ceiling. W and S wrought iron gates of
early C18 Flemish work. Monument in centre to Robert Cecil,
first Earl of Salisbury d. 1612. Sculptures of Earl and
supporting female figures by Maximilian Colt. Also in chapel C13
floor effigy of knight, and effigy of William Curll by Nicholas
Stone, 1617. C15 SE chancel chapel (The Brocket Chapel) has
large marble standing wall monument to Sir James Read by Michael
Rysbrack, 1765, 1598 wall monument to Sir John Brocket and tomb
of 2nd Viscount Melbourne (d.1848). Tie beam roof with head
stops. C13 arch to SW transept chapel. Good later C19 glass: S
transept window by Burne Jones, 1894; chancel E window and NE
chapel window by Clayton and Bell, c.1870-2. (Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL2350508488
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings