History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Evangelist

A Grade II Listed Building in Hatfield, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7935 / 51°47'36"N

Longitude: -0.2354 / 0°14'7"W

OS Eastings: 521793

OS Northings: 212007

OS Grid: TL217120

Mapcode National: GBR J96.FBL

Mapcode Global: VHGPK.V5XZ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist

Listing Date: 9 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158432

Location: Hatfield, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL8

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield

Civil Parish: Hatfield

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Lemsford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Welwyn Garden City

Listing Text

Lemsford
TL 21 SW HATFIELD LEMSFORD VILLAGE
(south-east side)

5/169 Church of St John
the Evangelist
-

GV II


Church. 1858-9 by David Brandon in Early English Gothic style.
Rough-cut ashlar stone with smooth stone dressings. Westmoreland
slate roofs. SE chapel added in 1930 for the Nall-Cain family by
F E Howard in Perpendicular style. Nave has trefoil-headed
single lancets with hood moulds, stepped buttresses and
continuous moulded sill course. Parapeted gabled S porch. Two
stage W tower has clasp buttresses, 2-light plate-tracery belfry
opening and quatrefoil parapet. Large 5-light E window with
intersecting geometric style tracery. SE chapel has 3 4-centred
arch windows with cusped tracery and moulded, stepped buttresses.
Moulded plinth and crenellated parapet. W door with crocketed
ogeed arch is surmounted by an elaborate 2-light window.
Interior has naturalistic leaf capitals. Stained glass to E
window by Clayton and Bell 1874. Altar frontal in carved wood
dated 1605. Rich lierne vaulting to chapel. Canopied tomb in
luscious perpendicular style to Florence Nall-Cain (d. 1927).
Altar reredos carved in wood and alabaster. (Pevsner (1977)).


Listing NGR: TL2179312007

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.