History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Thomas a Becket

A Grade II* Listed Building in Northaw and Cuffley, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.705 / 51°42'17"N

Longitude: -0.1501 / 0°9'0"W

OS Eastings: 527922

OS Northings: 202312

OS Grid: TL279023

Mapcode National: GBR JBG.4VN

Mapcode Global: VHGQ0.BDZT

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Thomas a Becket

Listing Date: 9 December 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348170

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158507

Location: Northaw and Cuffley, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, EN6

County: Hertfordshire

District: Welwyn Hatfield

Civil Parish: Northaw and Cuffley

Built-Up Area: Northaw

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Northaw and Cuffley

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Potters Bar

Listing Text

Northaw
TL 20 SE NORTHAW AND NORTHAW ROAD WEST
CUFFLEY

12/243 Parish Church of
St Thomas a Becket
-

GV II*


Church. 1881, by C Kirk and Son of Sleaford. Replacing church
of 1809. N aisle added 1887, choir and vestry 1893. Rock cut
stone. Slate roof. Lincolnshire Decorated style. Tall SW tower
in 5 stages. Clasp buttresses with crocketed finials. Cusped
parapet. 3-light ground floor windows. Clock on W face. 2-
light belfry windows. Nave has 5-light W window with flowing
tracery. Door in projecting gabled surround. N nave aisle has 5
eaves gables over 3-light windows, the porch gable with curved
triangular traceried window. 5-light E window with flowing
tracery. S aisle has small 2-light windows and an eaves corbel
table. Exceptionally complete interior with elaborate wall
paintings and fittings. 5-bay nave with piers and hood moulds to
arches. Scissor brace roof. Similar roof to choir, painted
1893. 2-arch opening to former vestry on N and chancel chapel on
S, the arches with cinguefoiled heads. Sedilia of 3 trefoiled
arches. Piscina with foliage-carved bowl. Perpendicular style
chancel arch and rood given 1913. Polygonal stone pulpit with
richly crocketed gabled sides, stone figures at the angles. Nave
and chancel walls with wall paintings depicting New Testament
scenes and foliage patterns. Complete original stained glass.
East window signed Ward Hughes 1882. West window Ward & Hughes
1887. 3 north aisle windows c.1895 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
(Pevsner (1977)).


Listing NGR: TL2792202312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.