History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Mill House

A Grade II Listed Building in Three Rivers, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6543 / 51°39'15"N

Longitude: -0.4788 / 0°28'43"W

OS Eastings: 505329

OS Northings: 196157

OS Grid: TQ053961

Mapcode National: GBR 0X.HYN

Mapcode Global: VHFSK.NP74

Entry Name: Old Mill House

Listing Date: 3 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348230

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158829

Location: Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

Town: Three Rivers

Electoral Ward/Division: Chorleywood North & Sarratt

Built-Up Area: Chorleywood

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Croxley Green All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Rickmansworth

Listing Text

TQ 09 NE RICKMANSWORTH LOUDWATER LANE
(West side)
Rickmansworth

6/185 Old Mill House


II


House, formerly part of paper mill. Late C17 or early C18 origins,
extended and altered in C19 and C20. Timber frame, rendered. Sham timber
frame applied. Slate roofs. 4 bays. 2 storeys. Ground floor entrance
with a C20 hood. C20 2 light casements. Modillioned boxed eaves. C19
range to left is former wheelhouse with the River Chess running beneath
it, forward projecting with a coped parapet to a gable with kneelers. A
cross axial ridge stack to right of centre and end stacks, that on right
return extruded. Entrance on right return with a C20 hood. To rear 3
gables, central projecting oriel, ground floor projecting bay to right.
Interior: exposed timber frame. Built as part of a corn mill which was
converted to paper production by J. Shipton c.1750, owned by H. Ingram
of the 'Illustrated London News' from 1846 to 1858 and closed 1885.
(G. Cornwall 'Paper Making in Rickmansworth', Rickmansworth Historian,
No.38, 1981).


Listing NGR: TQ0532996157

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.