This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.652 / 51°39'7"N
Longitude: -0.5225 / 0°31'21"W
OS Eastings: 502309
OS Northings: 195829
OS Grid: TQ023958
Mapcode National: GBR G7X.6R0
Mapcode Global: VHFSJ.WQMZ
Entry Name: Hillside Free Church and Hall
Listing Date: 3 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348231
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158741
Location: Chorleywood, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD3
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Chorleywood
Built-Up Area: Chorleywood
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chorleywood St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD HILLSIDE ROAD
5/100 Hillside Free Church
Baptist Church and hall. 1905 extended 1934 all by H.G. Ibberson,
builder J.A. Bates. Stock brick, part roughcast, some flint dressings.
Slate roof. Arts and Crafts Style influenced by C.F.A. Voysey. 4 bay
hall with W narthex. W end: ground floor flat roofed narthex with
entrance to S, double doors, ornamental copper frieze on lintel and
inscription, canted embrasure with arched head, roughcast soffit. To
W a 3 light brick mullioned window, leaded lights. Roughcast W gable
end above narthex has a large round light with a tile base to reveal.
Flanking brick piers project slightly and form square parapets at ends
of gable, some flint and brick chequer work in piers. N and S
elevations have Diocletian windows with stone sills and mullions, leaded
lights, roughcast above sill level. Pilaster buttresses. Boxed eaves.
Roof slopes are flared out just above eaves. Central leaded bell turret,
octagonal tapering to an open head with a domical cupola, rod finial,
relief panels on 4 sides. E end: roughcast with projecting strip to
centre carrying flues, round headed ventilation slits, flanking brick
piers as at W end. 1 bay vestry to E with entrance, flanking leaded
casements, parapet. To NE an outshut, door with heart ornament. Attached
to E and returning to N at a 45 degree angle are stock brick hall
additions of 1934 also by Ibberson. Interior: fielded panelled doors to
hall from narthex. Tiled panels and dentilled cornices between windows.
Ceiled roof with bird in vine scroll ornament on queen struts from
brattished tie beams. Blind round arch at E end. Raised panelled reading
desk, frontal and organ case. Ornamental copper cross suspended above.
Original stained glass. (G.E. Ray A Historyof Chorleywood, 1969).
Listing NGR: TQ0230995829
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings