History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christchurch

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chorleywood, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6584 / 51°39'30"N

Longitude: -0.5037 / 0°30'13"W

OS Eastings: 503600

OS Northings: 196572

OS Grid: TQ036965

Mapcode National: GBR 02.3PM

Mapcode Global: VHFSK.7L21

Entry Name: Christchurch

Listing Date: 16 July 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348233

English Heritage Legacy ID: 158746

Location: Chorleywood, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Three Rivers

Civil Parish: Chorleywood

Built-Up Area: Chorleywood

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Chorleywood Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Sarratt

Listing Text

TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD RICKMANSWORTH ROAD
(Southwest side)
Chorleywood

5/105 Christ church
16.7.75


II*

Wrongly shown on OS map as Chenies Road.Parish church.1845 by B. Ferry.
Rebuilt, except tower, 1869-70 by G.E. Street. Spire raised and tower
buttressed 1881-2 to Street's designs. Knapped flint with Bath and
Wycombe stone dressings.Tiled roofs.Shingled spire.Early English Gothic
Revival Style.4 bay nave and S aisle.2 bay chancel and S chapel. N porch
and vestry. W tower. 1973 hall addition to W. Nave to N: three 3 light
pointed arched windows, geometrical tracery, chamfered and hollow moulded
surrounds. Plinth, continuous sill band, hood moulds, buttresses. To W is
steeply gabled porch, pointed and moulded entrance arch with chamfered
jambs, hood mould. Ridge cross to coped gable parapet. Inner entrance has
trefoil headed inner arch with cusped outer arch, colonnettes in jambs,
original strap hinged door. To W of porch a 2 light window with a cinque-
foil head. Diagonal buttress to W with a moulded base. Coped parapet at E
end of nave. S aisle and chapel continuously and separately roofed. 5
windows, 2:2:1 articulated by buttresses, 2 lights each with pointed
heads, geometrical tracery,continuous sill band and hood mould. Diagonal
buttress to W. W end of S aisle: tall pointed arched 3 light window.
Towards E on S wall of S chapel is an inserted C20 entrance with a
pointed head. Angle buttresses to E end which has a round light with
foiled tracery. Chancel slightly lower than nave and set back slightly
to N. E end tall pointed arched 3 light window, geometrical tracery.
Ridge cross on coped gable parapet. Diagonal buttresses. Chancel S return
pointed traceried 3 light window, quatrefoiled panelled base. N return:
steeply gabled 2 storey vestry: entrance to N with trefoil arched head,
strap hinged door, upper tripartite trefoiled lancet window, relieving
arch, coped gable parapet, clasping buttresses. Stack pith offsets where
ridge meets chancel. Flanking on chancel N wall are pointed, traceried 2
light windows. Tower divided into 3 stages by string courses. Plinth,
louvred lancets and clocks in upper stage. Original clasping buttresses
and c.1881 2 stage diagonal buttresses to W. Triple lancet in 2nd stage
to W above 1973 addition. Moulded corbel table below broached spire with
lower belfry, 8 trefoil headed openings to each side. Lucarnes with
foiled openings. Interior remains much as designed and furnished by
Street. 4 bay S arcade, piers of 4 half columns with shafts in angles,
moulded caps, double chamfered pointed arches. Chancel arch, heavily
moulded with short respond colonnettes with stiff leaf caps. Inscription
below hood mould around extrados. Tall pointed tower arch with hollow and
ovolo mouldings. Inner hood moulds to windows. E window has marble
colonnettes in jambs with inscription around extrados. Triple traceried
opening from chancel to S chapel formed by 2 intersecting pointed arches,
way through to left, decorative wrought iron door and grilles fill
openings. Sedilia and piscina on chancel S wall. Painted inscriptions on
E wall. Nave and S aisle walls have original polychrome tiling below sill
level. Scissor brace nave roof with cusped arched braces, patterned
spandrels, curved wind braces. S aisle collar beam trusses with cusped
arched braces. Ceiled chancel roof retains original painted decorative
scheme. Stone reredos, Christ in Glory, dated 1872. Stone pulpit, semi-
octagonal with foiled panels and stiff leaf frieze. Font at W end of S
aisle, octagonal with foiled panels and crocketing. Oak altar table.
Foiled and foliate carving, painted decoration. Screen to S chapel from
S aisle, dated 1873, delicately carved traceried panels. Poppyhead
finials to choir stalls. Brass lectern. 6 brass hanging lights in nave
and S aisle. E window of 1872 (and others) by Clayton and Bell, some nave
windows by Heaton and Butler. (Pevsner 1977).


Listing NGR: TQ0360096572

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.