This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6352 / 51°38'6"N
Longitude: -0.515 / 0°30'53"W
OS Eastings: 502869
OS Northings: 193974
OS Grid: TQ028939
Mapcode National: GBR 03.LTF
Mapcode Global: VHFSR.1539
Entry Name: Bircham Cottages
Listing Date: 27 July 1972
Last Amended: 3 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348253
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158852
Location: Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD3
District: Three Rivers
Town: Three Rivers
Electoral Ward/Division: Chorleywood South & Maple Cros
Built-Up Area: Chorleywood
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Mill End and Heronsgate with West Hyde
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
RICKMANSWORTH NOTTINGHAM ROAD
TQ 09 SW
8/208 Bircham Cottage
27.7.72 (formerly listed as
Bircham and Little
House, formerly a semi-detached pair. 1846-7 for Chartist Co-operative
Land Company. Stuccoed brick. Welsh slate roof. 2 storey pedimented
central block with slightly recessed 1 storey wings, that to left
raised, 1:2:1, an arrangement not found in other Chartist settlements.
C20 casements. Plinth, a rebated strip separates centre bays. In
pediment a rectangular panel with sides extended downwards, a sign used
throughout O'Connorville. Bargeboards. Entrance in right wing in a porch
on gable end, pedimental surround. Gable to front on raised left wing,
ground floor canted bay addition, first floor sash, dentilled brick
eaves. C20 entrance porch to rear left. Axial ridge stack, stack to rear
of right wing. Interior not inspected. Amongst the best surviving
examples of the houses of O'Connorville founded by Feargus O'Connor,
Chartist leader, as the first settlement under his Land Plan, an
important aftermath of Chartism and precursor of Garden Cities. A school
and 35 cottages were built, each with 2 to 4 acres of land.
(Hertfordshire Past and Present, no.7, p.19, 1967: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TQ0286993974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings