This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.723 / 51°43'22"N
Longitude: -0.5288 / 0°31'43"W
OS Eastings: 501717
OS Northings: 203717
OS Grid: TL017037
Mapcode National: GBR G6X.YZK
Mapcode Global: VHFS4.SY9K
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 2 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348432
English Heritage Legacy ID: 157545
Location: Bovingdon, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP3
Civil Parish: Bovingdon
Built-Up Area: Bovingdon
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bovingdon
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BOVINGDON CHURCH STREET
TL 0103 (West side)
10/18 Church of
- St. Lawrence
Parish church. Medieval Dec and Perp, thoroughly restored 1845 by Thomas
Talbot Bury FSA so that much of the fabric is of this date. Flint rubble
with uncoursed flint facing (coursed on tower) and stone dressings. Old
stonework in clunch, C19 work in Bath stone. Steep slated roofs with
graduated sizes to chancel. A scholarly Gothic church in local style.
Chancel, 5-bays nave with N and S aisles, S porch, embattled W tower
with spire, and NE lean-to vestry. Moulded parapets to nave and aisles.
3-stage tower has crocketed corner pinacles. Diagonal corner buttresses.
5-bay aisles with buttresses between windows. S porch has puddingstone
as well as flint in its S gable. Pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders
closed by iron gates. Lockers as seats in porch. Continuously moulded S
door with pointed arch and battened door with decorative iron hinges. 4
S-aisle windows have unusual saltire tracery with trefoil cusping. Other
windows either re-used (W window of N aisle) or follow previous form.
3-light pointed Dec W window has mullions renewed. Square hoodmould
renewed of Perp arched doorway with spandrels. Moulded base course of
tower original as well as of buttresses to aisles, but offsets in Bath
stone. Clunch quoins and string course to nave presumably original. Only
clunch buttresses of porch remain and bonding stones to S aisle.
Segmental arched recess in tower for knight's effigy now in nave.
'A.B.S.R' on gilded bosses of tower ceiling. York stone slab floor to
church. Tower arch of 2 chamfered orders 5 bays nave with low-pitched
boarded roof with moulded purlins, ridge, wallplates, tie-beams and
wallposts off stone corbels. 2 order chamfered C14 style pointed arcade
with chamfered upright panel central to each pier as if it were 2 piers
back-to-back. Octagonal moulded bell-caps and roll-moulded bases.Moulded
string course below sills of 2-light trefoil clerestorey windows.
Painted inscriptions on labels over tower and chancel arches. Pine pews
with doors and fine carved poppy heads down central aisle. 2-light
stained glass window 1874 to Isobel Cator at W end of S aisle. 1855 wall
monument to Henry Stewart Ryder by R. Brown of London, a soldier leaning
on a Gothic sarcophogus surmounted by a cross. White marble with pointed
head and slate border. Chest tomb at S side of chancel arch with effigy
in stone of a knight of c.1370 with fragments of painting, pointed
basinet, plate armour and chain mail gorge. Hands in prayer. Wall
monuments to Ryder family of Westbrook Hay. Chancel floored in Belgian
marble C17 inscribed slabs, some with brass plates, 1605 '-UM BEARAT',
Andrew Mayne d.1621. Commandments and painted scrolls flank 3-light
stained glass E window by Lavers 1856 designed by the painter Charles
West Cope (Pevsner). Long gothic arcaded memorial tablet on N wall of
chancel in memory of Lady Georgiana Ryder, 3rd daughter of 6th Duke of
Beaufort 1800-65 and Hon. Granville Dudley Ryder d.1879 who was a local
benefactor, through whose efforts the church was restored. Chancel roof
of 2 bays with half-bays each end. Arch braced steep roof with moulded
purlins, ridge, wallplates, and wallposts off stone corbels. 3
benefaction boards in N aisle. Stained glass window in N aisle to Thomas
Talbot Bury d.23 Feb 1877, the architect for the restoration. Octagonal
panelled font with instrument of the Passion. Coloured perspective in
vestry inscribed 'Bovingdon Church as restored by T. Talbot Bury FSA'.
(RCHM(1911)66 no.2: Kelly (1914)69: Pevsner (1977)107).
Listing NGR: TL0171703717
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings