History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Saunders Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Flamstead, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8197 / 51°49'11"N

Longitude: -0.4369 / 0°26'12"W

OS Eastings: 507833

OS Northings: 214611

OS Grid: TL078146

Mapcode National: GBR G5W.Y33

Mapcode Global: VHFRT.CJWB

Entry Name: Saunders Almshouses

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 19 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348459

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157796

Location: Flamstead, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Flamstead

Built-Up Area: Flamstead

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Flamstead

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Flamstead

Listing Text

FLAMSTEAD HIGH STREET
TL 0714
(North side)
9/20 Nos. 1, 3, 5, and 7
(Saunders Almshouses) (Formerly listed
22.10.52
as Saunder's Almshouses)
II*
GV

Block of 4 almshouses. Stone plaque in middle of front engraved 'AnoDm/
1669". For Thomas Saunders of Beechwood. Reconditioned 1952, with
outshut set back at rear rebuilt. Narrow dark red brick in an unusually
early use of Flemish-bond. Steep old red tile roof. A long single-storey
block of 2 handed pairs of almshouses facing S. 2 large shared internal
chimneys symmetrically placed on ridge each with 2 conjoined lozenge
shaped diagonal shafts with corbelled caps. Moulded brick gable parapets
with square piers topped by ball finials at each apex and above each
corbelled brick kneeler. 4 windows S front with 2 pairs of round arched
chamfered brick doorways opposite the chimneys. Recessed square-headed
2-light windows with chamfered brick jambs and mullions (formerly
plastered to represent stone) and leaded glazing in metal frames
(renewed), oak plank doors. Excellent brickwork with bull-nose plinth
and brick eaves cornice with frieze. Moulded brick corbels to gable
kneelers, 2 large rectangles of stone over the western pair of doors may
have had armorial bearings. Stone set immediately under central
datestone may have inscription now illegible. Each single-cell house was
for a poor married couple. Entrance at jamb of fireplace. Beam runs from
front to back. Flat-roofed continuous rear outshut in red brick. (VCH
(1908)193: RCHM (1911)89: Kelly (1914)101: Pevsner (1977)143: RCHM
Typescript).


Listing NGR: TL0783314611

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.