History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cavendish Baptist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ramsgate, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3341 / 51°20'2"N

Longitude: 1.4175 / 1°25'2"E

OS Eastings: 638147

OS Northings: 164986

OS Grid: TR381649

Mapcode National: GBR X0L.C62

Mapcode Global: VHMCW.JQ6P

Entry Name: Cavendish Baptist Church

Listing Date: 4 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348516

English Heritage Legacy ID: 171711

Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11

County: Kent

District: Thanet

Civil Parish: Ramsgate

Built-Up Area: Ramsgate

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Ramsgate

Listing Text

RAMSGATE CAVENISH STREET
TR 3864 NW
(west side)
13/82 Cavendish
Baptist Church
GV II
Chapel (Particular and Calvinistic). 1840 by James Wilson of Bath for
£4,000. White brick with rendered details. Neo-Norman. Moulded plinth
supporting 3 pairs of octagonal turrets, with bracketed parapet, raised
as gable over centre, with moulded parapet and pedestal. Two paired
round headed lancets either side of centre piers, with cill band, and
3 roll moulded orders. Central multi-order window surround taken down
to plinth, with 3 lights with intersecting heads. Giant arches to left
and to right frame traceried plank and stud doors with attached column
and moulded surrounds, with Lombard frieze over. Plain side and rear
elevations. The width of main elevation a result of this being the
side of the chapel. Interior: large, unaisled space, with arcaded
galleries on end walls, little decoration apart from window mouldings
and cornice. The architect and client (Reverend James Matlock Daniell)
originally intended a belfry, objected to by Trinity House, who had
already donated £1,000 to St. Georges (see item 9/62 ). Daniell gave
the name Cavendish Street to the road developed 1839-80 by Woodward
and Grundy, 2 Ramsgate builders. (See BOE Kent II, 1983, p.426, "fun
in a sick sort of way"; see also Busson, Ramsgate, pages 66 and 75;
also Bygone Kent. 5, No. 7, Sydney Clark.' The Building of Cavendish
Baptist Chapel.'

Listing NGR: TR3814764986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.