History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cleaves Hall, Cleaves House and Footpath Between Cleaves Hall and Vicarage Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Yalding, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2265 / 51°13'35"N

Longitude: 0.4325 / 0°25'56"E

OS Eastings: 569944

OS Northings: 150290

OS Grid: TQ699502

Mapcode National: GBR NQC.24L

Mapcode Global: VHJMK.GF0M

Entry Name: Cleaves Hall, Cleaves House and Footpath Between Cleaves Hall and Vicarage Road

Listing Date: 14 October 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348520

English Heritage Legacy ID: 174995

Location: Yalding, Maidstone, Kent, ME18

County: Kent

District: Maidstone

Civil Parish: Yalding

Built-Up Area: Yalding

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Yalding St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Yalding

Listing Text

YALDING VICARAGE ROAD
TQ 6950
(north side)
(also known as The Green)
6/180
Cleaves Hall,
Cleaves House
and footpath
between Cleaves
Hall and
Vicarage Road
GV II

School, with schoolmaster's house, now parish hall and house.
School and schoolmaster's house founded 1663 (or 1665) by
William Cleave, haberdasher, of London, incorporating C15 or early
C16 cross-wing. Late C17 or C18 rear bay. Late C19 additions to
left and, of circa 1883, to right. Main range and cross-wing timber
framed; ground floor red brick, first floor, and part of ground
floor of wing, hung with fishscale tiles. First floor of wing
rendered to rear. Plain tile roof. Mid C17 main range of 3 timber-
framed bays. C15 or early C16 cross-wing to right of 2 short timber-
framed bays projecting forwards slightly, and extended to rear by a
further 2 timber-framed bays and rear end stack bay, probably to form
schoolmaster's house in mid C17. Further timber-framed bay added to
rear of stack bay in late C17 or C18. Main range 2 storeys and attics,
right cross-wing two storeys. Front two bays of wing have ragstone
plinth, and were formerly jettied to front and right side. Roof of
main range gabled to left and hipped down to cross-wing to right.
Cross-wing roof hipped with gablet to front, with lower eaves and
ridge. Tall hexagonal louvred wooden bell cupola with leaded onion
dome towards left end of main range. Multiple red-and grey brick
stack to each end of main range, that to right end in front slope of
roof. Ridge stack towards rear of wing. Two small gabled dormers
with leaded two-light casements to main range. Irregular fenestration
of 3 three-light leaded casements; two broadly-spaced to main range
and one to front gable end of wing. Ribbed door to left end of main
range, behind gabled C19 red brick porch up 3 steps, with four-
centred arched rubbed brick outer doorway. Half-glazed door to Cleaves
House, recessed behind C20 four-centred arched wooden architrave, to
right end of main range. C19 addition projecting forwards to left, of
one tall single storey, with brick below, and fishscale tiles above
midrail, plain tile roof, crested ridge tiles, cylindrical ventilator,
moulded bargeboards, nine-light mullioned and transomed window, and
integral lean-tos to right and left. Three-storey c.1883 addition to
right, with banded plain and fishscale tiles to upper storey, red
brick to rest, plain tile roof, moulded bargeboards, red brick stack
to left side, ridge stack towards rear, three-light second-floor
casement, and four-light casement with segmental head to each lower
storey. Interior: C15 or early C16 section has broad close-set joists
and dragon beam to ground floor, gunstock-jowled posts, and chamfered
central tie-beam with evidence for bracing and fillet. Main range has
long shaped jowls to principal posts, staggered butt purlin roof, and
exposed framing to rear wall with intermediate studs and two panels per
storey. Axial row of three painted iron columns with palm-leaf capitals
to centre of ground floor. C17 extension to wing with exposed framing,
gunstock-jowled posts, and two brick fireplaces with wooden bressumers;
roof not seen. Exposed arch-braced trusses to left C19 wing. Late
C18 fireplace to ground floor of c.1883 wing, said to come from The
Coach House, High Street, Yalding. Path of roughly-coursed stone setts,
with stone verges, about 4 feet wide, and running about 40 feet between
left porch of Cleaves Hall and Vicarage Road. School attended by
Edmund Blunden until 1918.


Listing NGR: TQ6994450290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.