History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lower Grinsty Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Redditch, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2886 / 52°17'18"N

Longitude: -1.9675 / 1°58'2"W

OS Eastings: 402316

OS Northings: 265604

OS Grid: SP023656

Mapcode National: GBR 3HZ.FDN

Mapcode Global: VH9ZT.VQ7Y

Entry Name: Lower Grinsty Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 April 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156604

Location: Redditch, Worcestershire, B97

County: Worcestershire

District: Redditch

Town: Redditch

Electoral Ward/Division: West

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Headless Cross St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Redditch

Listing Text

REDDITCH B LOWER GRINSTY LANE (south side)
SP 06 NW

1/128
Lower Grinsty Farmhouse
10.4.54

GV II


Farmhouse, now house. c1600; restored late C20. Timber-framed with painted
brick infill on brick base; plain tiled roofs. Hall and cross-wing plan; hall
of single framed bay aligned east/west; large external chimney with tiled off-
sets on south side; cross-wing of two framed bays at west gable end. Two
storeys and attic. Framing: mainly four panels from sill to wall-plate with
short straight braces in upper corners; collar and tie-beam trusses with four
struts beneath collar; hall truss has V-strut above collar and north cross-
wing truss has a single central strut in the apex. The framing of the north
gable end is heavier than elsewhere as it would originally have been the dis-
play front. Windows are C20 casements with leaded lights. North elevation:
hall has a ground floor 3-light window and a first floor 2-light window; lean-
to porch on timber post adjacent to cross-wing in original cross-passage
postion but present doorway in adjoining cross-wing wall; cross-wing gable end
has blocked original openings and a single-light ground floor window; 2-light
ground and first floor window in east side elevation with C20 door in angle
with hall (see above). Interior not inspected. An inventory of 1617 suggests
that the farmhouse became a "forechamber" or extension to The Hall House (qv)
nearby; the latter, an earlier single-bay dwelling, was altered to form the
dining hall and parlour to the farmhouse, whilst the farmhouse consisted of
buttery and four separate chambers. Alternatively the inventory may refer to
the farmhouse alone and the "hall house" mentioned refers, as is usually
assumed, to the hall inside the main building and The Hall House may have become
an outbuilding. The farmhouse and The Hall House form an unusual and remarkably
well-preserved domestic group of considerable historic interest. (BoE, p 152;
Richard Harris, Survey for Avoncroft Museum of Buildings, Janaury 1984).


Listing NGR: SP0231665604

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.