History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bailiff's House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bewdley, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3749 / 52°22'29"N

Longitude: -2.3159 / 2°18'57"W

OS Eastings: 378591

OS Northings: 275253

OS Grid: SO785752

Mapcode National: GBR 0BK.397

Mapcode Global: VH91S.TK1R

Entry Name: Bailiff's House

Listing Date: 22 April 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156690

Location: Bewdley, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY12

County: Worcestershire

District: Wyre Forest

Civil Parish: Bewdley

Built-Up Area: Bewdley

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Ribbesford with Bewdley and Dowles etc

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Bewdley

Listing Text


SO 7875 SE BEWDLEY CP HIGH STREET (north side)

13/48 No 68 & No 69
(Bailiff's House)
22.4.50

GV II*

House. 1607 - 1610 with mid-C19 and some late C20 alterations. Timber-
frame with plastered infill on stuccoed brick ground floor, tile roof,
stacks to rear. Two storeys with attic lit by three gabled dormers;
first floor and attic jettied with a moulded bressummer on consoles;
first floor: three windows: square oriels of four lights with ovolo
mullions and transoms with side lights, sills supported on two consoles;
timber-framed dormers have 3-light C19 casements; ground floor: three
windows: two 4-light casements, a 3-light casement to right; two entrances,
that to left approached by four concrete steps has an overlight and a C20
ledged and boarded door; entrance to right has a similar door with segmental
head bearing the inscription "T 1610 B". Framing: close-studding to first
floor; attic is one square panel high with four decorative quadrant braces
to each panel, as in a square panel in the gable of each dormer; ground
floor largely rebuilt, but retains three consoles to jetty. (FWB Charles,
Conservation of Timber Buildings, 1984, London, pp 46-7, 230-233; BoE p 86).


Listing NGR: SO7859175253

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.