History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mainoaks

A Grade II Listed Building in Goodrich, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8559 / 51°51'21"N

Longitude: -2.6251 / 2°37'30"W

OS Eastings: 357045

OS Northings: 217664

OS Grid: SO570176

Mapcode National: GBR FP.TCGM

Mapcode Global: VH86P.GM23

Entry Name: Mainoaks

Listing Date: 18 May 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1348907

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153858

Location: Goodrich, County of Herefordshire, HR9

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Goodrich

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Goodrich and Welsh Bicknor

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Goodrich

Listing Text

SO 51 NE GOODRICH CP MAINOAKS

6/67 Mainoaks

18/5/53

GV II


Former farmhouse, now two tenements. C15 core, altered C16 and C17, late
C18 or early C19 additions. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to
refacing of former timber-framed house, slate roofs; hipped to wings west
side. Hall house aligned north/south facing west with slightly later
forward projecting cross-wing to south and C18 or C19 altered rear pro-
jecting wing to north. Former through-passage backing onto stack, further
lateral stack to: south-east of south wing and to east gable end of north
wing. Single storey with attic to hall flanked by two-storey wings,
basement to south wing. Irregular fenestration; north wing: 3-light
lunette with leaded wooden casements, 4-light C20 window below; hall:
gabled dormer with 3-light part leaded casements and C20 projecting canted
bay below with 2-light cross-casements south of stack; south wing: part
leaded cross-casement and C19 2-light casement with segmental head below.
C19 part-glazed door. Wooden sill of former timber-framed hall partly
visible. Gabled rear of south wing reveals timber framing from first
floor; swept braces from tie-beam to girding beam. C19 2-light stone
mullioned window in masonry gabled dormer at rear of hall. East end of
north wing retains large C19 bread oven. Interior: central hall originally
3-bay with cruck trusses, only central truss appears to remain intact; arch
braced with chamfered members and traces of smoke blackening, inserted
ceiling with chamfered beams and resited altered C17 staircase with turned
balusters. Resited carved frieze above door lintel in upstairs room
bears date 1629. South wing: 3-bay, collar-and-tie-beam trusses with
swept wind-braces.


Listing NGR: SO5704517664

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.